Unofficial Window X64 and X32 Development Snapshots

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ektus

Re: Unofficial Window X64 and X32 Development Snapshots

Post by ektus »

peterl94 wrote:Can you guys try these builds? FreeCAD 0.15 development For anyone whose interested, they were created with this script: FCAutoBuild.
With the x64 version I get the same runtime error 6034 as with the other builds from this thread. Googling the error number revealed these articles:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80%29.aspx

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/145 ... 7#14680947

Would that give a clue?

Clearing path as suggested in the second post doesn't help, though.

Happy Christmas!

Ekkehard
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Ah, thanks ektus, now I think I know what it is wrong. Can you first try moving msvcp120.dll, msvcr120.dll, vccorlib.dll, vcomp120.dll out of the bin folder? I assume you have the Visual Studio 2013 redestributable package installed, since it worked on a clean version of Windows 7.
normandc wrote:You decompress then launch FreeCAD.exe in /bin?
Yes, I can have the script create installers if you guys think it would be better, but I wanted to make it clear that these are development snapshots only -- not release builds. Plus, this way it is easier to run multiple versions. I think the reason that they are smaller is just due to the 7-zip compression.

I should mention that if you have never installed a 32-bit version of FreeCAD, you will need to install the Visual Studio 2008 redistributable package before you can run the XP compatible, 32-bit build. The 64-bit version, however, is built with VS 2013 and has the redist dlls included with it, but from ektus' post above, this might not work.
ektus

Post by ektus »

peterl94 wrote:Ah, thanks ektus, now I think I know what it is wrong. Can you first try moving msvcp120.dll, msvcr120.dll, vccorlib.dll, vcomp120.dll out of the bin folder? I assume you have the Visual Studio 2013 redestributable package installed, since it worked on a clean version of Windows 7.
Yes, I have it installed, and no, renaming those DLLs didn't do any good. No change.
peterl94 wrote: I should mention that if you have never installed a 32-bit version of FreeCAD, you will need to install the Visual Studio 2008 redistributable package before you can run the XP compatible, 32-bit build. The 64-bit version, however, is built with VS 2013 and has the redist dlls included with it, but from ektus' post above, this might not work.
I've had various older versions of FreeCAD installed, and a couple of VCC redistributables.

The x64 version is lacking the .manifest file that is included in the X86 archive. The latter is not suffering from the R6034 problem, but still doesn't run properly due to the Phyton version conflict. My Space mouse works in neither version.

Happy Christmas!
Ekkehard
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Thanks, ektus, I see that I was a little too hasty uploading those builds. The x86 archive was not supposed to have the VC redist dlls, it was just left over from a previous build. Either one should not need a .manifest because it should be embedded in the exe. I'll do some more research and will be back with what I find. Hopefully we can get your space mouse working too.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Oh, and another reason the archives are smaller is because they don't have the documentation. (which is what assistant.exe is used for, so it is not needed in this case)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

What is "assistant.exe" for?
This is the Qt Assistant which we use to show the online documentation.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

ektus wrote:Clearing path as suggested in the second post doesn't help, though.
That was a problem FreeCAD suffered from in the past. In most of the cases people installed another application based on OCC which installed its DLLs into C:\Windows\system32 which caused our modules to pick up the wrong DLLs. However, a guy once gave us a hint how this can be properly solved: issue #0001638
Since we implemented this approach setting or clearing the path is not needed any more -- as long as the installer brings all required DLLs.
peterl94 wrote:Ah, thanks ektus, now I think I know what it is wrong. Can you first try moving msvcp120.dll, msvcr120.dll, vccorlib.dll, vcomp120.dll out of the bin folder? I assume you have the Visual Studio 2013 redestributable package installed, since it worked on a clean version of Windows 7.
Since MS introduced the manifest stuff adding a DLL to the application is not longer an option. You really must install the appropriate redistributable because AFAIK this also sets some registry keys.
Yes, I can have the script create installers if you guys think it would be better, but I wanted to make it clear that these are development snapshots only -- not release builds. Plus, this way it is easier to run multiple versions. I think the reason that they are smaller is just due to the 7-zip compression.
For developer snapshots I think this is OK. However, for a release version we should offer proper installers (we abandoned WiX and use NSIS now) where we can add the right redistributable.
ektus

Post by ektus »

wmayer wrote: To troubleshoot this issue try to load all workbenches and note which you cannot load. Then use the tool "dependency walker" and import the corresponding DLLs for which the workbench didn't load. In the dependency list you should find some icons of missing or incompatible DLLs.
I downloaded dependency walker and opened FreeCAD.exe with it. The report file in text form is attached. I'd rather a programmer interpret that one :)

Merry Christmas!
(It is christmas, after all. For the non-christians, come, celebrate with us and have a peaceful time.)

Ekkehard.
Attachments
FreeCAD_0_15_4332_x64.7z
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Does anybody know what the DCOMP.DLL is? That's the only file of the report that looks suspicious to me.
ektus

Post by ektus »

wmayer wrote:Does anybody know what the DCOMP.DLL is? That's the only file of the report that looks suspicious to me.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

But I can't understand what they are writing there :(

Merry Christmas!

Ektus.