Freecad Logo design suggestion

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mrcshh

Re: Freecad Logo design suggestion

Post by mrcshh »

I neither like lighting, nor colors, nor my 'f' - it's just one of my Fs... - itself, but wanted to share the idea, because everytime I see the F next to the gear I want them to be one. If you like the idea I could try to make a gear and an f that really look nice and well designed.
fc.png
fc.png (47.41 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Hi Mikeo,
Can i use your design to a FreeCAD Scope for Ubuntu ?
Look here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10208
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

ian.rees wrote:FWIW, I quite like the look of the second one here, maybe it could go in with version 0.16 which should include a bunch of UI improvements :). -Ian-
This design has now been suggested already by several different users and I have to say I am also in favor of it, it is similar to the original so that there is not to big of a change to be worth arguing about but its more simple form does give it a fresh look and from this post viewtopic.php?p=79061#p79061 we can also see that it is clearer and perform better at different sizes.

Edit: But since we are here more technical folks that like precision, I have to say that in that svg the gear does seem to be a bit off (and I am not talking about its rotation) and also the fonts are not clean ;)
Mikeo

Post by Mikeo »

saso wrote: Edit: But since we are here more technical folks that like precision, I have to say that in that svg the gear does seem to be a bit off (and I am not talking about its rotation) and also the fonts are not clean ;)
thanks for pointing out, I have quickly saved SVG from the draft, so it might be not perfect.
But if it's gonna be used by some people I can polish it a bit and put somewhere more permanent (please point me to the right repository etc.), unless someone already did it.
Mikeo

Post by Mikeo »

yorik wrote:Yes, of all proposals, the number 2 is my favorite too. I'm all for it.
I wish someone would want to redesign the FreeCAD homepage too
regarding logo, I also agree version 2 is a nice improvement without major changes.

All the other ideas suggested here are very good too. I like the precision approach by @triplus, and incorporating 3D mentioned by few people (including me) , also combining 'gear' and 'F' suggested by @mrcshh might make a more solid icon. But they are all quite a big deviation from current logo and perhaps should be revised for next bigger release as many people suggested.

Regarding homepage, I'd be happy to give it a shot whenever I'll have a bit of free time.
@Yorik, is this the right repository to work with?
https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD-homepage

Also is there any discussion on forum about the home page already?
Thanks!
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

How about the motto - the leading "An" seems a bit odd in "An Open Source parametric 3D CAD modeler".

What do you guys think of this for instance? -Ian-
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I like the precision approach by @triplus
I didn't want to give to much details up front as i wanted to hear how other perceive it. There was not much feedback but still some observations were made. I decided to offer a bit more insight on how the symbol came to be:
FreeCAD-info.png
FreeCAD-info.png (34.67 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
I made several attempts from 2D to 3D. I decided in the end it will have to be represented as 2D geometry and i focused on 2D. I made several 2D attempts and i realized i had to remove all the bling like color gradient and shadows. If it doesn't "work" without this additions it won't work with them. The final proposal actually has some additional bling in it (red/blue) color. "The problem" with such basic and pure symbols is there is a good chance they are already taken. I am not aware of any symbol like the one i proposed but if there is i guess that doesn't change all that much and i doubt it is exactly like the one i proposed.

In the end i focused on FreeCAD itself. In general we could say FreeCAD is best described by its name. Free and CAD. It doesn't have a name like Blender or Krita where you would need additional explanation. This is the reason i didn't add any additional description/slogan on it. It already states Free in its name and it delivers in both "free beer" and "free speech" categories. Why would it make sense to try to redefine Free part by narrowing it down and saying something additional like "open source". I do believe Free by itself covers it just fine and users searching for "free beer" and/or "free speech" will be satisfied. Satisfied to get what they expect and what they are looking for. About CAD it is as general term as they come. If you don't know what CAD stands for you probably will not know what parametric modeling is. If you do know what it stands for then you will be much pleased to find out it delivers. FreeCAD has 2D,3D capabilities. You can have relations or you don't have to use them. You can use if for structural engineering or mechanical engineering and more. If something is missing it's probably because nobody has started working on it yet to add support.

About the colors i do believe red fits Free and blue fits CAD. We could go into psychology of colors on why but if anybody is interested Google it as this answer is already becoming long. OsiFont in my opinion does the job good.

F -> Free

Freedom was actually preserved from the current logo (imported as SVG geometry in FreeCAD).
evolutionF.png
evolutionF.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
It is positioned as solid foundation (Free)CAD is build upon.

C -> CAD

Arc(h) like in geometry and/or structure that is build on solid foundation. Adding additional geometry to arc(h) (gear like) would brake the balance and put to much emphasise on mechanical engineering.

F -> Free + C -> CAD

Together they form precision, relation and there is balance. It is unlikely for symbol or form like this to be produced by nature. For example Arc(h) is exact half, center is common, lines are parallel... nothing stick out and nothing is missing. Peak? Yes there is one (or more). As in FreeCAD being and striving to be the best (Free) CAD has to offer. As in taking the challenge and to best use FreeCAD to achieve your goal.

Well this are the basics. Probably i left something out or i did put to much emphasise on explaining something but it does provide foundation for intended interpretation.

Cheers!
TT-RS

Post by TT-RS »

I like most of projects, especially those in 3D (by mrcshh).
mrcshh

Post by mrcshh »

I have been working a bit on it. But, to be honest, I think it looks somewhat clumsy and, especially from top view, really boring.
fc_1.png
fc_1.png (27.07 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
fc_2.png
fc_2.png (35.51 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
fc_3.png
fc_3.png (50.36 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
But I guess a new logo for FC should be designed from scratch anyway.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Triplus!
Your logo is interestingly similar to Archimedes CAD icon (found by accident):
archimedes-icon.gif
archimedes-icon.gif (2.58 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
I have no idea, what Archimedes cad is, but it seems to be free and open.

I also can't help myself seeing analogy with Sberbank symbol, and some association with Moscow Metro (this one I can't explain to my own self).