Improving Measurements in 3D

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
User avatar
r-frank
Posts: 2181
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm
Location: Möckmühl, Germany
Contact:

Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby r-frank » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello.

Imagine you have an imported 3D-Part and want to model it in FreeCAD.
So you need to do measurments in 3D.
If you need linear or angular values of two elements than the tools from part module are just fine.

But what about the diameter of a single circle or a single cylinder ?
Or measuring the angle of a draft/chamfer ?
Or the radius of a fillet ?
Of course you could use pocket and then measure from edge to edge of the cylinder or you could
create a drawing and put all needed dimensions there ...

But is there a direct way of measurment in FreeCAD ?
The "measure distance" tool does not allow using the snap tools from draft workbench, do they ?
That would be a nice enhancement.

And of course I found this thread about circle measurement.

Is there a possibility I overlooked ?

Thanks for reading
Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
wmayer
Site Admin
Posts: 14896
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby wmayer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 pm

issue #503 planned for a long time but never did something on this.
User avatar
r-frank
Posts: 2181
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm
Location: Möckmühl, Germany
Contact:

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby r-frank » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info, werner.

Well, at least I could PM User "peepsalot" and ask permission to put his macros (especially measure circle)
on the macros recipe page, that would be a start ... :)

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
jmaustpc
Posts: 9566
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:33 pm

not a complete overall solution but some specific tips and 'work arounds', ...you can use Draft Dimensions and snaps in imaginative ways. For example:-

1) You can use a Draft Dimension to measure a single circle’s diameter.

2) If you use snap to centre, you can also use a non-linked manual Draft lineal dimension to measure centre distances between two co-planar circles.

3) You can use Draft Dimensions to measure the angle between two co-planar edges.

4) Of course a linked Draft Dimension works well to measure a single edge.

etc..

Jim
Mike Feature
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby Mike Feature » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Roland, I cannot be in a bigger agreement with you about
+++ snapping on measurements +++++
Even a reduced set of 2 or 3 snapping tools (midpoint and endpoint) would make a big difference

In fact, (midpoint and endpoint) would make a big difference in every WB, mainly in the sketcher and part design.

[ironic mode: on]I can understand the position of the developing team, interested only on bugs and new features already implemented o requiring not more than a copy and paste.

It is already implemented a movement with snapping

Who wants a more functional program ?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby NormandC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Mike Feature,

It is easy to be the critic. What have you done for the FreeCAD project exactly?
Mike Feature
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby Mike Feature » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:55 am

It is dangerous when someone has to state the obvious.
I am taking the time to read the way my suggestions are declined, rejected, undervalued.
I am taking the time to construct sentences to suggest features in other programs.
I am trying to avoid suggesting things like ... an explicit option for pink circles 1 inch radius or a tool for a direct measurement in cubits, although it seems like I am suggesting such a thing.
And not, my friend, making reasonable suggestions is not easy, but it seems easy to me to reject or undervalue them.

2 or 3 snapping tools should be available in all WB for drawing and measuring, not just for moving.

One could say something unvelibable enough like "Thank you for your obvious suggestion but we do not have time for it so far" or "Please take the time to read our planned feature list before duplicating suggestions" ... I would accept either and some more.
I should better stop arguing with who does not want to improve his project. I am more than silly for it. Sorry.
CharlieMAC
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby CharlieMAC » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Mike Feature wrote: [ironic mode: on]I can understand the position of the developing team, interested only on bugs and new features already implemented o requiring not more than a copy and paste.
It is already implemented a movement with snapping
Who wants a more functional program ?
In my opinion I think this as an acid critic and a direct offense towards the reduced group of developers who dedicate their spare time (they do not get paid for this) to contribute to the development of FreeCAD. Besides all the problems, shortcomings and bugs you can find in FreeCAD, have you ever considered how complex it is to create such a complete tool?

Normand has replied to you saying that you should specify more about what you would like to see in FreeCAD to be developed, and seeing your posts I agree with him. Considering your acid critic, why don´t YOU start developing the missing features?

Best,

Ch.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby NormandC » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks, CharlieMAC.

The fact is, all regulars here know FreeCAD's shortcomings. I've been waiting for years (look at my Joined date, Mike) for many features and yet I do not lament (much :D ) on them, because I know the developers are doing what they can, in the time they can allow to the project.

Instead of whining uselessly I chose to help the project where I can (alas not programming) and patiently wait.
Mike Feature wrote:One could say something unvelibable enough like "Thank you for your obvious suggestion but we do not have time for it so far" or "Please take the time to read our planned feature list before duplicating suggestions" ... I would accept either and some more.
Oh, I can only reply what you just wrote to me:
Mike Feature wrote:It is dangerous when someone has to state the obvious.
I'm tired of having to state the obvious. Have you actually tried to search for the planned feature list you speak of, before making your feature requests? Had you actually written in one of your posts something like "Guys I have tried to search for any planned feature list or roadmap but couldn't locate one, could you point me toward one if it exists?" I would have cut you some slack.

Had you chosen not to write in your "ironic mode" I would have cut you some slack.
Mike Feature wrote:I should better stop arguing with who does not want to improve his project.
LOL. Way to write such a preposterous statement about me.
User avatar
easyw-fc
Posts: 2672
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

Re: Improving Measurements in 3D

Postby easyw-fc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

r-frank wrote:
Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:40 pm
Hello.

Imagine you have an imported 3D-Part and want to model it in FreeCAD.
So you need to do measurments in 3D.
If you need linear or angular values of two elements than the tools from part module are just fine.

But what about the diameter of a single circle or a single cylinder ?
Or measuring the angle of a draft/chamfer ?
Or the radius of a fillet ?
Of course you could use pocket and then measure from edge to edge of the cylinder or you could
create a drawing and put all needed dimensions there ...

But is there a direct way of measurment in FreeCAD ?
The "measure distance" tool does not allow using the snap tools from draft workbench, do they ?
That would be a nice enhancement.

And of course I found this thread about circle measurement.

Is there a possibility I overlooked ?

Thanks for reading
Roland
Hi Roland,
sorry for reviving an old thread, but may be I found a way to simplify this measurements...
Please have a try with my Manipulator WB
Here the forum reference
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24742
Caliper Measurement
And some measurement test:
caliper.gif
caliper.gif (811.8 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Maurice