[fcxref] External Cross-Document Reference & Links Manager

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [fcxref] External Cross-Document Reference & Links Manager

Post by Kunda1 »

gbroques wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 pm I had no idea this functionality existed until now, so I appreciate you two pointing it out to me.
Raises the question: where in the UI would it have been useful for you to clue you in to the existing functionality of this?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:53 am
gbroques wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 pm I had no idea this functionality existed until now, so I appreciate you two pointing it out to me.
Raises the question: where in the UI would it have been useful for you to clue you in to the existing functionality of this?
A few ideas:
  • Right click the cell containing the expression and see the option in the context menu that appears.
  • Available in the Toolbar for the Spreadsheet Workbench
  • Available in the Spreadsheet File Menu
These are just a few of my knee-jerk ideas.

I feel like any future functionality should imitate popular spreadsheet programs like Excel, Libre Office Calc, and Google Sheets.

As people like myself will already be familiar with these programs -- making FreeCAD's spreadsheet workbench feel more intuitive.

Excel has a "Trace Precedents" and "Trace Dependents" feature that lets you see the cells a cell depends on, and which cells depend on it.

See "Display the relationships between formulas and cells":
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 518771d507
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

gbroques wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 pm A few ideas:
  • Right click the cell containing the expression and see the option in the context menu that appears.
  • Available in the Toolbar for the Spreadsheet Workbench
  • Available in the Spreadsheet File Menu
These are just a few of my knee-jerk ideas.

I feel like any future functionality should imitate popular spreadsheet programs like Excel, Libre Office Calc, and Google Sheets.
expressions are not limited to spreadsheets though, in fact I mostly reference spreadsheets in expression rather than use expressions in spreadsheets.
Excel has a "Trace Precedents" and "Trace Dependents" feature that lets you see the cells a cell depends on, and which cells depend on it.

See "Display the relationships between formulas and cells":
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 518771d507
well freecad has a dependency graph for features at least, the spreadsheet specific one could be useful but I don't know how it will show dependencies outside of the spreadsheet and I think those are a very common occurrence.
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 am expressions are not limited to spreadsheets though
Yes, this is certainly a good point.

It might be good if such functionality was implemented in a more global way that wasn't tied to the Spreadsheet workbench. Like Part, Group, Link, etc.
adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 am well freecad has a dependency graph for features at least, the spreadsheet specific one could be useful but I don't know how it will show dependencies outside of the spreadsheet and I think those are a very common occurrence.
That's another good point.

I was aware of this feature, but haven't really explored it too much.

It could prove very helpful for the kind of relational information I'm looking for.