NEW FEATURE ! Sketcher Tool Settings.

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: NEW FEATURE ! Sketcher Tool Settings.

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:37 pm I think you are very wrong here, perhaps due to personal experience. I have read here several times that a user starts almost always using polyline - but only if they are familiar with the M key.
It can still be fixed. Either reversing the mode change when RMB is clicked or using another key. What about Function keys?
chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:37 pm A rectangle in sketcher is drawn by clicking two points, either diagonal or center plus corner. Perhaps I misunderstood your tool, but can you specify the width of a rectangle before having clicked the second point?
Yes that's the point of the tool.
Here's a presentation video in more depth :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8oTQNp ... ADDevDiary
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The video explains it very well (although the sound is horrible).
In some places you use dedicated names for the dimensions, which I would like to see for others too, e.g. "center" for the center of a circle or even of an arc, where "first point" doesn't say much.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm Edit : Beside maybe we can just catch the +RMB in the polyline tool and cancel the mode change if + RMB is done.
That could be a solution, but ideally we should find a different shortcut that doesn't conflict with anything, what about shift+alt, is there a way of knowing if that has some conflict?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To use any combination of Shift, Alt, Ctrl may be convenient, but is very uncommon so I recommend to avoid it. These keys are know to be modifiers, which change the behaviour of another key pressed with them.
How about the P key for Polylinie? Easy to remember and not worse to reach with the left hand than M key.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

and what if I want to work with pm ;)
does freecad even support that? :lol: edit: as expected it looks like it doesn't so p is probably safe however it's already in use by the parallel constraint, not sure if it can be used.
are there keyboards where < is not easily accesible? just a thought
maybe s for switch mode? are there any units (relevant in sketcher) that use the s letter? edit: s is in use by symmetry constraint
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Here my proposal, use Z for parallel constraint given the visual similarity (the parallel lines in the letter) and switch to G+P to call polyline and P to change modes.

Another option could be to use S+M (switch mode) key combination and add some code to ignore the M in the task dialog when this shortcut is used.
Also another option now that I think about it is to change parallel constraint to K+P or symmetry to K+S

Thinking about shortcuts a doubt came to my mind, what happens with the rest of the shortcuts when we have a tool active? currently we change from rectangle to circle easily with the shortcuts, will this be lost with this feature, making an intermediate esc mandatory?

Inviting abdullah to this
abdullah wrote:
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

It's probably a good time to continue the discussion on sketcher shortcuts. No point in scattering this discussion across multiple threads ;)
Discussion: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=50

One option is to ignore the M key (mm) bug for now, and rather wait for the official sketcher shortcuts to finalize, and handle this issue there.
Or do as suggested and just replace M with a suitable key that is "free" for now.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Haavard wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:43 pm It's probably a good time to continue the discussion on sketcher shortcuts. No point in scattering this discussion across multiple threads ;)
Discussion: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=50

One option is to ignore the M key (mm) bug for now, and rather wait for the official sketcher shortcuts to finalize, and handle this issue there.
Or do as suggested and just replace M with a suitable key that is "free" for now.
I think that's a good plan.

However I'm perfectly fine with letter P too. It's just that it needs more work to catch the P because the spinbox will catch it first so it needs to figure out how to pass that event to the main widget.
So if it's to be changed soon anyway, then let's keep Shift for now. It's not as if the shift+rmb is reliable currently anyway.

I say that because I'd rather keep going on on next cool stuff I'm preparing. As my free period goes only so far and I want to get done as much as I can while I'm free to spend my days on freecad.
I'm about one day away from done on a pretty neat 'contextual constrain' that we discussed before and it's looking really cool!

So yeah if someone can double check the PR and the code and integrate it that would be awesome :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm and what if I want to work with pm ;)
It is indeed possible to enter 1pm, alas it is changed to 1mm. (So better wait until next morning and enter it at 1:00am :lol: )
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

paddle wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 pm I'm about one day away from done on a pretty neat 'contextual constrain' that we discussed before and it's looking really cool!
REALLY looking forward to seeing this!!!! ;) :D