FreeCAD 0.20 is released

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.20 is released

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 pm the beta adjetive should be removed as well as the --candidate flag for snap
Thanks. Done.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@adrianinsaval where is this exactly? (URL please) TIA
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:00 pm @adrianinsaval where is this exactly? (URL please) TIA
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.20 uwe already fixed most of it but there is one sneaky "beta" left:
Snap package: Install the beta release
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:45 pm one sneaky "beta" left:
Fixed, thanks!
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrtech1

Post by chrtech1 »

I am a new user (dabbled in it from 018.4), I began using it in earnest for commercial work at the beginning of 2022. (I'm a retired engineer ex SolidWorks, ex Inventor, ex Micro CADAM, ex CADAM and more, but now I do limited mechanical design work for a few customers who have no CAD capability of their own)

0.20 is welcome, and I have been using it since it was released.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank those who develop FreeCAD. My only contribution so far has been monetary (and I will continue that!), but I am hoping that I'll be able to contribute directly to the product at some point.

Again, my thanks to the devs for 0.20 and a product that works. Some of us can't justify a "big-boy" product, FreeCad fills the void. Speaking as a longtime CAD user, FreeCAD has an incredible amount of potential. Solve the TNP, settle on a single assembly workbench, upgrade the TechDraw capabilities a little and (as the saying goes) you've got a dog that hunts.

I'm grateful for what we've got, optimistic about it's future, and hoping that eventually I'll be able to contribute more.

Thanks
Kevin
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

chrtech1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 am Speaking as a longtime CAD user, FreeCAD has an incredible amount of potential. Solve the TNP, settle on a single assembly workbench, upgrade the TechDraw capabilities a little and (as the saying goes) you've got a dog that hunts.
Brilliantly and concisely put: TNP and single assembly will draw in absolutely massive crowds.

Hate to be the person that asks this, but any vague idea on when 1.0 will come out?

Thanks for all the hard work!
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

exsolvespacer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 am Hate to be the person that asks this, but any vague idea on when 1.0 will come out?
The answer to questions like this are typically "it's done when it's done"

That being said, I think FreeCAD generally averages 18 months or so between releases. TNP being a major implementation, I'd expect at least that long or more.
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:26 pm
exsolvespacer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 am Hate to be the person that asks this, but any vague idea on when 1.0 will come out?
The answer to questions like this are typically "it's done when it's done"

That being said, I think FreeCAD generally averages 18 months or so between releases. TNP being a major implementation, I'd expect at least that long or more.
Okay, so about 2024 for TNP.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

exsolvespacer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:37 pm Okay, so about 2024 for TNP.
I talked to realthunder recently and he's getting ready to send patches for review very soon. Because Toponaming is such a beast of complexity, hopefully by the end of 2022 or beginning of 2023.
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:56 pm
exsolvespacer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:37 pm Okay, so about 2024 for TNP.
I talked to realthunder recently and he's getting ready to send patches for review very soon. Because Toponaming is such a beast of complexity, hopefully by the end of 2022 or beginning of 2023.
Nice one, that's great news. Fingers crossed as ever! :-)