Visibility automation in Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Visibility automation in Sketcher

Post by DeepSOIC »

0.17.7794:
(screenshot says it all!)

:D
ehb

Re: Visibility automation in Sketcher

Post by ehb »

Those are awesome features!

Now what would remain missing would be a transparency value next to the "Show Objects.." checkboxes. :)

Nonetheless, this is much better to work with already, thanks!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

ehb wrote:Now what would remain missing would be a transparency value next to the "Show Objects.." checkboxes.
Point taken. May implement at some point...
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Pretty handy - I just tried it - thanks DeepSOIC!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Restore camera position after editing
Man, with just that one you made my day.

Thanks DeepSOIC!!! :)
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

That works very nicely, well done. One minor thing I found: The reset of the camera after editing is not done with an animation even if animations are enabled in the preferences. This is also does not happen when starting to edit the sketch, so it is not really a bug. But it would be nice if it would work as I personally find the animated movement way more intuitive: you know where your scene is rotated to. Very important for automatic changes.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

ickby wrote:That works very nicely, well done. One minor thing I found: The reset of the camera after editing is not done with an animation even if animations are enabled in the preferences. This is also does not happen when starting to edit the sketch, so it is not really a bug. But it would be nice if it would work as I personally find the animated movement way more intuitive: you know where your scene is rotated to. Very important for automatic changes.
I tried to make animation, but failed to find the way to do it in Python. I may give it another try.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Another thing I wanted to address here was the resetting of scale when creating a new free-standing sketch (not in PartDesign). But I have not decided on how exactly to tell if the scale should be reset or not, so I skipped that.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

DeepSOIC wrote:I tried to make animation, but failed to find the way to do it in Python. I may give it another try.
Ah ok. I suppose the viewer should provide a method for setting the camera which does handling of animations if available. Maybe this is a good time for extending the interface :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

This is also does not happen when starting to edit the sketch, so it is not really a bug.
Sure? For me the animation still works when starting to edit the sketch.

Then there is another issue that should be fixed, too: as you can see in the screen shot the preferences page got many additional widgets which now causes a scroll bar to appear. In the past we got multiple complaints about this. So, it would be good to split this page into two pages. We could e.g. even have an own group (i.e. a new item in the list view on the left) for sketcher specific settings.