New Module for Technical Drawings (TechDraw)

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: New Module for Technical Drawings (TechDraw)

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote:Organizational question. Does issues acc. to TechDraw should be posted here or on github?
how about:
- post to Help for comment/confirmation
- once confirmed, open issue on Github.

Once the volume of TechDraw issues dies down to a reasonable level, we'll start using Mantis.

wf
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Renato Rebelo wrote:I do not know if I can report a bug in tracker
someone who is used to do so please do this
thank you
Renato Rebelo
done. issue #0002624
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wandererfan wrote:Once the volume of TechDraw issues dies down to a reasonable level, we'll start using Mantis.
We could add Techdraw to the "project" drop down list in mantis, if you like?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jmaustpc wrote:We could add Techdraw to the "project" drop down list in mantis, if you like?
Give it a week for the rush to die down.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I've been playing quite a lot with hatches and, apart from creating a little library from scratch (which I'm attaching to this post... do you think I may pull request it to Master?), I think they work really nice but they still lack of some important parameters:
  • scale
  • rotation
  • line width
  • fill (true/false): this setting would allow showing only lines or lines + filled shapes present on the svg file
The first 3 points are which I find important because if a pattern doesn't match your needs it would be due to one or a mix of these 3 parameters and regular users don't know how to use Inkscape or similar...
Attachments
hatches_v01.zip
(124.42 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

pablogil wrote:I've been playing quite a lot with hatches and, apart from creating a little library from scratch (which I'm attaching to this post... do you think I may pull request it to Master?), I think they work really nice but they still lack of some important parameters:
https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD- ... /issues/63 added. Scale and rotation are probably pretty easy to add. Have to think about how to do line width and fill.

York and the Draft module are the keepers of the pattern files, but I don't see any reason not to add more. Don't know what Draft does with patterns that aren't 64x64.

wf
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

wandererfan wrote: https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD- ... /issues/63 added. Scale and rotation are probably pretty easy to add. Have to think about how to do line width and fill.
Great, I agree that scale and rotation may be easy to add, don't know about line width...
wandererfan wrote: York and the Draft module are the keepers of the pattern files, but I don't see any reason not to add more. Don't know what Draft does with patterns that aren't 64x64.

wf
All my patterns are 64x64, it was just a way to rename them so that you can understand that lower numbers (32, 16, 08) produce smaller patterns...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Thanks for the work on this, seems much easier to use than the Drawing module!

One question though: I'd quite like to be able to get perspective views as well. Does TechDraw use an underlying library of some sort for generating the image? If that code has the ability to give perspective views I might invest a bit of time to see if I can get that working.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Brutha wrote:One question though: I'd quite like to be able to get perspective views as well. Does TechDraw use an underlying library of some sort for generating the image? If that code has the ability to give perspective views I might invest a bit of time to see if I can get that working.
We use OpenCascade (also OCC,OCE) to project the view and remove the hidden lines.

Code: Select all

//! Creates   an axonometric  projector.   <CS> is the <br>
//!          viewing coordinate system. <br>
Standard_EXPORT HLRAlgo_Projector(const gp_Ax2& CS);

//! Creates  a  perspective  projector.   <CS>  is the <br>
//!          viewing coordinate system. <br>
Standard_EXPORT HLRAlgo_Projector(const gp_Ax2& CS,const Standard_Real Focus);
TechDraw::GeometryObject uses the first form. Would be worth playing with the second form.

Can always use another coder!

wf
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Aha, thanks!

I'm not sure you could describe me as a proper coder..... Although many years ago I contributed an almost infinitesimally small amount of code to Blender!

But I may have a bit of time to myself during August, and this seems like it might be doable.

Cheers

Brutha