The FreeCAD manual

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Post by triplus »

bejant wrote:I noticed that on page 46 the Sketcher Geometries and Constraints links all go the the Symmetric Constraint, except for the last one (the Lock Constraint).
Yeah i reported that already:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16534#p130739

But as no feedback was given i didn't report other small issues found beyond that.

P.S. As for the successful transition to Wiki i took a quick look and it is looking good.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Ok the manual is now 100% on the wiki!

Therefore, I propose to change the wiki main page. What about this: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :Main_Page
good idea Yorik. Its good for it to be easy to find as it will be a useful way to help a newbie start with the rather steep learning curve. :)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

triplus wrote:Yeah i reported that already:
My apologies. I either overlooked that, or had forgotten I'd seen it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Therefore, I propose to change the wiki main page. What about this: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... :Main_Page
It looks nice, but why did you remove the table of contents section. It's the only place where (from the main page) a newcomer can easily find a link to the documentation in a different language. Please do not forget that the FreeCAD Manual is in English only.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote: It looks nice, but why did you remove the table of contents section. It's the only place where (from the main page) a newcomer can easily find a link to the documentation in a different language. Please do not forget that the FreeCAD Manual is in English only.
Hm yes, but with the translation system does it still make any sense? Isn't it more logical to simply switch to the desired language with the language bar at the bottom? But I agree there should be a kind of table of contents somewhere... But the current one needs a serious rework, half the pages are missing from it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Hm yes, but with the translation system does it still make any sense? Isn't it more logical to simply switch to the desired language with the language bar at the bottom?
Okay, but your sandbox page does not have the language bar, which prompted my comment.

And I've said it before more than one time, and I will say it again: the placement at the bottom is counter-intuitive. When accessing the page for the first time, a user will expect a language switcher at the top, like for the official website. Even on my 1920x1200 display, I need to scroll down to see the language bar.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote:And I've said it before more than one time, and I will say it again: the placement at the bottom is counter-intuitive. When accessing the page for the first time, a user will expect a language switcher at the top, like for the official website. Even on my 1920x1200 display, I need to scroll down to see the language bar.
I know, but you are not asking for very easy things! :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

What's not easy in this?
FC_Main_Page_languages_01.png
FC_Main_Page_languages_01.png (65.93 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
What I have been saying for I don't know how long is that from the start, the language bar should have been placed at the top where it is actually visible.

Now we'd have thousands of pages to fix. :|
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I *might* have found a way to integrate the available languages to the top menu bar in the new skin. Will test soon.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Yorik. In the section Traditional 2D drafting, page 66. At the bottom you mention "Turn Relative mode on".
I can not find this command on the tool bars. Is this one?
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... oordinates

Why this tool bar does not show? How I can turn it on?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6704 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 0c449d7e8f9b2b1fb93e3f8d1865e2f59d7ed253
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
::bitacovir::
==================