Navigation indicator

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Navigation indicator

Post by triplus »

Well although not initially planned my offer did include willingness to do half of the work:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 21#p161390

But i guess that was too little. I am not interested in C++ part of it therefore i moved on. Customization capability is a challenge left for the future developers.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I just noticed a usability issue when using a dark theme (default Ambiance on Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity).

The icons are not visible. Compare to a light theme:

triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

User can enable Compact mode. And i wanted for the end user to have some clue. On what navigation mode is selected when using the Compact mode. That is why different icon approach is being used. From the Ubuntu 16.04 and as seen form the image point of view. Therefore i don't see any usability issues there. It should work as advertised.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

triplus wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:18 pm User can enable Compact mode. And i wanted for the end user to have some clue. On what navigation mode is selected when using the Compact mode. That is why different icon approach is being used. From the Ubuntu 16.04 and as seen form the image point of view. Therefore i don't see any usability issues there. It should work as advertised.
The point is the missing icons in the leftmost row. If you look at the right angle you can see that they are visible, on a dark grey background very dark grey icons. They should be kind of white in the dark theme.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm ]The point is the missing icons in the leftmost row. If you look at the right angle you can see that they are visible, on a dark grey background very dark grey icons. They should be kind of white in the dark theme.
As far as i am concern this area won't change in FreeCAD 0.17. Rationale being monochrome approach is common for "tray icons". The status bar on majority of platforms is of light color. It was tested on dark set of FreeCAD style sheets and it works reasonably good. As for users using black or extremely dark themes. They usually don't want something white sticking out. ;)

In short it was made like that by design choice. Said that if anybody else feels it should change in FreeCAD 0.17. And is prepared to do it. I don't have an issue with that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

triplus wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm As far as i am concern this area won't change in FreeCAD 0.17.
I'm with you here. That should be done in 0.18. Every change bears a certain risk, albeit small.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm not arguing that it should be done for 0.17. But this:
triplus wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:16 pm In short it was made like that by design choice.
Then it was a dubious design choice, not to take dark menus into consideration. Not an usability issue? Duh, the icons are invisible. :roll:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 am I'm not arguing that it should be done for 0.17.
Then we all agree. That is good enough for me. ;)
Then it was a dubious design choice, not to take dark menus into consideration. Not an usability issue? Duh, the icons are invisible. :roll:
You where closely involved in the development of Navigation indicator. And we both know this discussion has already been conducted. For you to wait a few seconds before FreeCAD 0.17 is released and to start making claims on how there are oppressing usability issues, dubious design choices and things like that involved. Can't say i didn't see that one coming. :lol: