Arch MultiMaterials

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Arch MultiMaterials

Post by yorik »

At the moment they only work for Walls, Panels and Windows.
Indeed they could work for structures too, but then it becomes hard to decide how to make the layers.
About the other issues, thanks for notifying. I'll look into it...
MIngB

Post by MIngB »

Would it still be possible to access the the Volume or Length of each layer?
MultiMaterials is a pretty neat but also really complicated feature... using it, you may have to take precaution on adjoins with other elements which by itself may also be MultiMaterial.
At the moment I can't figure out how to include MultiMaterial into my designs. I mean each joint for itself may cut and/or join into MultiMaterial layers differently.

Actually, my humble opinion is: a Multimaterial element e.g. wall should become a handle, but each layer should be an own element of the actual type e.g. wall in this case. These than can be merged or cut by adjoining elements as wished. Each operation done to the handle is applied to each layer. But operations on a 'layer Element' apply only to itself.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.11474 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: (HEAD detached at 74e794002)
Hash: 74e794002464b5230966bae86ce84409b0ee74fc
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.1.0
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Each layer is still obtainable individually (myObject.Shape.Solids). And it is easy to match each solid with its corresponding material layer, so there is no real "problem" with this approach I think. Indeed it will require more automation, like intelligent walls merging, etc. I still don't have a clear path in mind of how to do that, that ś basically the main reason why it still doesn't exist...

Note that the old, manual behaviour still exists: You can make several walls based on the same baseline, with different offsets and thicknesses and materials, and do the merge manually. So that guarantees fine control when the more automatic way will be insufficient.
MIngB

Post by MIngB »

I like the way multilayered Objects are now created that easy... I'm looking forward to see what comes next.
Note that the old, manual behaviour still exists: You can make several walls based on the same baseline, with different offsets and thicknesses and materials, and do the merge manually. So that guarantees fine control when the more automatic way will be insufficient.
In case you see during construction that finer control for already build MultiMaterials is needed, It might come handy to be able to convert/copy a MultiMaterial e.g. wall, into several Objects of the same base(line).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

MIngB wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm In case you see during construction that finer control for already build MultiMaterials is needed, It might come handy to be able to convert/copy a MultiMaterial e.g. wall, into several Objects of the same base(line).
Indeed, very good idea. Adding to my TODO list.
silopolis

Post by silopolis »

Hi,

Giving MultiMaterials a test this morning with FreeCAD-daily from Zesty PPA on Debian 9/Stretch (SolydK 9 actually), I couldn't have it work with panels.
Creating a wall and selecting the mulimaterial at creation works, creating a wall and adding multimaterial afterward works too, but no way with panels and getting the following error with them:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/freecad-daily/Mod/Arch/ArchPanel.py", line 507, in execute
    base = baseprofile.extrude(n)
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'extrude'
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Argh it was a stupid typo :) Fixed in git commit d5b554d2b
Giuliano1969

Post by Giuliano1969 »

Hi Yorik
I tested today the multilayer wall feature, but it seems that the different color layer are not displayed.
The wall is drawn as a 1 layer only
See attached mp4 screencast (sorry, I took a long time to find the material propriety during the screencast :-) )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OlCJp ... eWF33OAPu

Is it the correct behavior ?

BR
Giuliano

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There are several regression bugs there, probably introduced by the multiple-width sketches work by @paullee... I fixed one in git commit 1fb999be37 but there are still things not working correctly...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

@Yorik's post bring me here :)

Indeed fusing Sketch-based Wall Segments make layer disappeared.

But I have long noted bugs that want to fix but do not find more time to think how to, see :-

Sep 2017 MultiMaterials + (multiple) ArchWalls on 1 Sketch
Nov 2019 [ Bug ] Multi-material cannot be applied to a sketch-based wall
Screenshot from 2017-09-22 07-01-50.png
Screenshot from 2017-09-22 07-01-50.png (156.82 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Attachments
Test _ Multi-material _ Arch Wall _1.FCStd
(50.14 KiB) Downloaded 70 times