Sketcher Virtual Space

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Sketcher Virtual Space

Post by abdullah »

Another feature recently merged. See screencasts here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p204675

In a simplified very easy way to understand, it allows you to "hide" constraints and make them visible again.

Yes, there is no doubt I would be worthless as a Marketing officer. I just wanted to make some awareness. Any bug, please report as soon as possible, so that it is fixed before 0.17 release :D
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Virtual Space

Post by sgrogan »

abdullah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 pm In a simplified very easy way to understand, it allows you to "hide" constraints and make them visible again.
Thanks abdullah :) This has indeed been a frequently requested feature.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Just testedd it. Great!
And here starts the common procedure. You give the little finger and people take the whole arm.
Is it possible to select/deselect all constraints or even ranges like in a select box :mrgreen: ?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 pm And here starts the common procedure. You give the little finger and people take the whole arm.
Is it possible to select/deselect all constraints or even ranges like in a select box : Lol: ?
HaHa me too. A hide all checkbox would be cool.
Damn greedy users, we're never satisfied ;)
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thank you (both).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How can I select more than one Constraint? To me it seems unchanged to abdullah's version. Is it a Mac problem?
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13176 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at d1949f6)
Hash: d1949f6e28fab93e05f0dda565c59488ebad285a
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:07 pm
abdullah wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:24 pm In a simplified very easy way to understand, it allows you to "hide" constraints and make them visible again.
Thanks abdullah :) This has indeed been a frequently requested feature.
(Not limited to but) for fully constrained sketches, used with expressions, now it seems like a good idea to only leave the (or some) "datums" on when you are finished, so that you can forget about the bulk general constraining work and concentrate on what is likely to actually change to adjust the design... the datums.

I am sure it opens for a lot of possibilities and...
chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 pm And here starts the common procedure. You give the little finger and people take the whole arm.
Is it possible to select/deselect all constraints or even ranges like in a select box :mrgreen: ?
... it is to be expected that we further develop this concept to facilitate the life of the designer. So yes, I expect people to familiarize with the mechanism and come forward with new feature requests. Otherwise, I wouldn't have created a Virtual Space toolbar just for one swiching icon... :lol:

As far as nobody shows me the middle one, I am happy to develop it further ;)

In Werner's addition combined with the selection already allows for some filtering-selection mechanism. Hide everything (or switch to the alternative virtual space, where nothing is selected), select "datums" in the filter. Select those datums you want, or all of them. Right click "show constraints". Now you see only the (those) datums. If you want to see the rest you can switch to alternative virtual space back and forth depending what you need to see.

If that is not what you meant or it can be improved, just open up the discussion... ;)
sgrogan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:04 pm HaHa me too. A hide all checkbox would be cool.
Damn greedy users, we're never satisfied ;)
If you have all shown and you can get rid of everything, just hit the "switch virtual space" icon in the toolbar. You get to the alternative virtual space where there is nothing.

In any case, hiding everthing is selecting everything, select first, press shift, select last, right-click, hide. It is a pitty that ctrl-A does not work as "select all" within the widget. We should rework sketcher shortcuts during 0.18 development cycle.

If what you want any other accelerator, for example, once you have things in the different virtual spaces, then it has to be implemented. Discuss it with the folks and let's see what we need...
wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 pm git commit d1949f6e28fab
Nice addition!
triplus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:03 pm Thank you (both).
Thanks!! The sketcher is getting nicer for v0.17 release, isn't it?
chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 am How can I select more than one Constraint? To me it seems unchanged to abdullah's version. Is it a Mac problem?
If you do not use the checkbox, but the normal list item selection, just select with shift or ctrl (or whatever you Mac-ers use instead that), then right click and select the show or hide options from the menu.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 am If you do not use the checkbox, but the normal list item selection, just select with shift or ctrl (or whatever you Mac-ers use instead that), then right click and select the show or hide options from the menu.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the right click menu, so there is even more to explore.

And the multi select deselect works like charm.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am
abdullah wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 am If you do not use the checkbox, but the normal list item selection, just select with shift or ctrl (or whatever you Mac-ers use instead that), then right click and select the show or hide options from the menu.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the right click menu, so there is even more to explore.

And the multi select deselect works like charm.
Blame Werner for that nice functionality ;)