BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cyril

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by Cyril »

bitacovir wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pmThere is a https://bimserver.center/ service.
You can open a free acount with a 1GB to storage in this service.
There is also an API https://bimserver.center/bim_developers_api.asp
Unfortunately this service does not have an online viewer to check the integrity of a IFC file made with FreeCAD
I don't think it is the same BIM server it doesn't seems to be a free software at all.
The following one is under GPLv3 License : http://bimserver.org
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Cyril wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 am
I don't think it is the same BIM server it doesn't seems to be a free software at all.
The following one is under GPLv3 License : http://bimserver.org
I know. I just mentioned it as a BIM service with an API.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The "sanity" of an IFC file exported from FreeCAD is pretty easy to check with ifcplusplus. If it opens without errors I consider the file is clean. It is good at reporting basic geometry errors. Revit often discords, though... :)

I would still like to have a simple script that would let you check something like "I have 20 BIM objects in my FreeCAD model, and these 20 objects are there in the IFC file".

About the "other" bim server, their API is probably very different than the bimserver.org... And since it is not open source, there is not much point in spending work on it
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

Hi everybody! Since is my first post I introduce myself a bit. I'm an architect that began to enter in Opensource tools throught Blender and has searched an BIM modeling tool that young architects and small studies could work with. And I found FreeCAD and it's community, that I find amasing.

I just started with BIM workbench and I thing it goes in the wright direction. I like how it's a tool in what you can use every workbench to create an arch component and asign a role that it's going to read as an ifcelement. I've noticed that those elements are not parametric. Do you thing in the future, some of them, might be able to be parametric?

I really like how it has been thought from an IFC perspective. IFC's might not be perfect but is the best we have to comunicate the form and the data. With that in mind I don't know if there is a possibility to create a file to be able to classify the elements (like Uniclass) and once you export the Fstd file to an Ifc it might keep the classification. In IFC there's a bunch of information that you don`t need or use. But with the name, the classification and the quantities you can reach most of your goals.

I've been reading your Floor name discussion. For me it's clearer if you call it floor than cell, but it's just an opinion.

I also have found an error while I click the "Set some common FreeCAD preferences for BIM workflow" button. I attach a screenshot

Thanks for all your time and work!
Captura de pantalla 2018-04-21 11.34.53.png
Captura de pantalla 2018-04-21 11.34.53.png (333.74 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

joancabeza wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:39 am I also have found an error while I click the "Set some common FreeCAD preferences for BIM workflow" button. I attach a screenshot
should be fixed now!

About uniclass and pouring more data into ifc files, i agree 100%. But this is a complex matter, it's not very clear how to do that best. I saw that ifc has a classification entity that i think serves that purpose. we need to implement that at some point..
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

yorik wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:25 pm
I saw that ifc has a classification entity that i think serves that purpose.
[/quote]

Exacly, that's it.
In revit it can be done with the Assembly Code. You create a txt file where there is all the classification an then you asign the code to each element.
You can also do it creating a parameter text type where you fill the code an then you make a schedule. You have the option to export also schedules on the IFC file an then it's done.

I attach some links of how it's done in Aecosim, Archicad and Revit in case it helps you. It might give you some ideas It's in catalan/spanish.

Aecosim
http://gubimcat.blogspot.com.es/2016/12 ... un_23.html

Archicad
http://gubimcat.blogspot.com.es/2016/12 ... -un_9.html

Revit
http://gubimcat.blogspot.com.es/2017/05 ... de-un.html
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very instructive to see all 3 side by side... The way I see it so far:

1) We already have a "classification" attribute for materials.
2) Maybe we need the same for all bim objects. But then, what if a bim object has one code and its material another code?
3) It is tedious to have to look for the code in some other system, website, etc
3) We need to find classification tables in a format that is machine-readable (xml, for example). I think masterformat we can forget because it's commercial, but omniclass I think it's open, there should be something
4) With that, we could have an UI that allows to pick a code in a tree list or search for words, that would make it easy to add codes to all your objects, be it on the object itself or on its material
5) Then we can see how we export/import that to/from IFC, but it seems simple.
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

Here some thoughts I have about:

1) I see. Maybe this would be the easest way. if any arch object, as materials, has a Classification line in its data where you could write the code you want (or select it from a txt file or similar) and export it. For what I've seen the information that appears at the Classification data of an IFC it's
a- Classification name: Uniformat, Omniclass...
b- Reference/Identification: The code. For example 20.20.10.10
c- Name: For example pillars
Maybe creating an spreadsheet named as the classification system with label data, descrition data, code data information in it would be exportable as IFC classification data.
2) I don`t see that a problem. As far as I know you could even have 2 codes for the same Arch object
3) I think the program hasn't got to have the code but allow you to put the code you want. You might need to classify your project in a personal way. Or, for what I know, there are public administrations that comand you to classify your BIM project with an specific classification system.
4) ¿Would it be possible to link this UI with spreadsheet or something that had all the codes of the classification system in order to pic the one you need? Then you would have the work to write all the codes once, but then you could use this in other projects.
5) In that I can´t help you (for now)

I attach here the classification system that our regional BIM users Association created in pdf and xlsx (in CAT/ESP) as an example

By the way. I've seen in the Arch objects data an IFC Properties line. Which is its use?
GuBIMClass v.1.2_ES.xlsx
(93 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
GuBIMClass v.1.2_ES.pdf
(190.51 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
GuBIMClass v.1.2_CA.xlsx
(92.8 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
GuBIMClass v.1.2_CA.pdf
(199.79 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The IfcProperties stores all the ifc properties of an object that is imported from an IFC file, and also, when exporting, those properties are saved back to the ifc file. But so far 1) it's not editable (we need an UI, I'm working on it), and it doesn't support property sets yet.
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

OK. The classification can be solved with a diferent path as teh ones we were writing or even using the Psets. So we have to be patient. i'll watch if I see some data that might be useful