on the fly Zip STEP file decompression

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

on the fly Zip STEP file decompression

Post by easyw-fc »

Hi,
I noticed that typically when downloading from public libraries 3D STEP models, the models are offered as Zip file archive...
(I'm referring i.e. to 3D models for electronic connectors)

What I found quite annoying it was the need to decompress the file and then open it in FC to be able to display its content...

Sometimes, as a too fast click error, I tried to open the .zip file directly and I just got an error...

So I decided to investigate and I discovered that in FC '.zip' is dedicated for Sweet Home 3D models...

Similar to this Mod extension I decided to add a new Zip Step Importer that is going to decompress the content of a Zip file and open the STEP file or files present inside directly into a FC document...
(The nice thing is that it is possible to 'open' directly all the STEP file inside the zip)

ATM I have added this Mod as a downloadable extension for FC here:
https://github.com/easyw/ZipStepImport

It could be simply added in parallel to the recently new 'stpZ' extension to manage also this automatic deflating feature...

I consider this a quite useful option for many users...

Maurice
triplus
Veteran

Re: on the fly Zip STEP file decompression

Post by triplus »

I guess if working with large collections of STEP files and they being compressed in ZIP archives. For sure having such possibility can improve the workflow.