Lithophane Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Lithophane Workbench

Post by triplus »

Nice progress!
furti

Post by furti »

mario52 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:40 pmsuper macro
triplus wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 pmNice progress!
Thanks glad to here you like it :)

There is a new version available now. Full release notes can be found here https://github.com/furti/FreeCAD-Lithop ... es/tag/0.4

With the new version:
- It is possible to cancel a long running task
- Use the scale command to match a certain diameter (useful for cylindrical or tube lithophanes)
- The scale UI was redesigned to separate the different options into separate Tabs
scale_length_width.png
scale_length_width.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
furti

Post by furti »

Hi :)

The last month was a bit busy. Created a new (In my opinion a pretty awesome :D ) feature for the Lithophane workbench. And also created the first real thing with it. A lamp as a present for my nephew.
I will upload some pictures of it to the Users Showcase forum :)

But now to the new feature.

I call it "Boolean Mesh".
It is a FeaturePython Object that is based on a Lithophane Image and creates the geometry like before and stores it in a Mesh linked to it.
But in addition to that, you can add Boolean Features to this Object. A Boolean Feature is either based on a Mesh or a Shape and adds or subtracts geometry from the base mesh.
So you can create stuff with the Part or PartDesign workbench and extend your Lithophanes with it.
It works a bit like the PartDesign Body. You add a list of additive or subtractive Features and get a final geometry from it.

For the Boolean Features to work, one has to either install OpenSCAD or Blender and configure it in FreeCAD. It is described here in detail https://github.com/furti/FreeCAD-Lithop ... olean-mesh
I would recommend to use Blender because it is a lot (and I really mean a lot) faster than OpenSCAD when it comes to Boolean Operations.
Tried it with a mesh with 341000 faces. I killed FreeCAD after 5 Minutes of waiting for OpenSCAD to finish. With Blender it was done in About 15 Seconds or so :lol:

You can see the feature in action in the video I uploaded here: https://furti.github.io/FreeCAD-Lithoph ... n_showcase

Hope you can make some gread use of this feature.

As always the full release notes can be found here https://github.com/furti/FreeCAD-Lithop ... es/tag/0.5
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

Hey Furti,

great job. Now I have a question about the »ppi« value. My picture has the dimension 1920x1058 – 96 ppi (507x279 mm). I changed the dimension to 100 mm in the length. Now I have the feeling the surface is a little bit rough.

What am I possibly doing wrong.

2019-08-09 19_55_28-FreeCAD 0.18.jpg
2019-08-09 19_55_28-FreeCAD 0.18.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
2019-08-09 19_57_36-FreeCAD 0.18.jpg
2019-08-09 19_57_36-FreeCAD 0.18.jpg (122.18 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
furti

Post by furti »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:19 pm Now I have the feeling the surface is a little bit rough
I think you do nothing wrong. When scaling the image down, multiple pixels are combined to a single one. Maybe about 20 pixels will be combined to a single one on your case. That means there is a lot less detail in the scaled image than in the original one.
RolandSautner

Post by RolandSautner »

Hi, I recently tried out the Lithopane workbench and it worked as it should do. My issue is that I need the resulting 3D-Model slightly different. I would need it with upright side walls, but the result of my tesing was bevel-edged. Background: I need such kind of STL file as an input for an UV based resin printer which is used for expoure of electronic PCB's.
Question: Does anybody know if there is a way to get upright side walls so that a layer has the full resolution of the input bitmap?
furti

Post by furti »

I dont fully understand what you try to achieve.

But maybe playing with the Height properties and merging the mesh withba cube or so might work?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

This is an announcements forum.

Make your posts in an appropriate forum.

This topic is now locked. It will only be unlocked to allow an "announcement", for example if an update is produced etc.

Go to
Help forum for Help
Development forum for development etc.