Sketcher Auto Remove Redundants mode

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Sketcher Auto Remove Redundants mode

Post by abdullah »

Hi! I have been away for a couple of months and I will still be for some time.

I had many notifications and messages, to which I will reply when I come back in about a month.

In the meantime, the "auto remove redundants" mode (you will find it next to the solver messages, a checkbox) have been merged.

It was quite a request to do something so that redundant creation did not get in the way while using the sketcher (specially when using the polyline creation tool). This was more painful after the sketcher solver improvements, as the sketcher was way much more picky than before. This new mode accommodates this request.

When an UI command (geometry creation, constraints, tools...) ends up in a situation detected by the solver as redundant, it automatically deletes the redundant constraints.

The checkbox is there so that you can disable it for cases when automatic removal is not desired.

Just give it a try and leave some feedback for when I come back to coding :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Auto Remove Redundants mode

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the update. And: You are back when you are back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 pm Thanks for the update. And: You are back when you are back.
Hi chris!

Have you given it a go this feature? Any feedback?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No issues so far! I have tested it and it worked es designed, but I have to confess that I am in the comfortable situation where I can avoid redundant constraints - especially after having written some 70 pages about sketches. I will provoke redundancies for further tests.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:24 pm No issues so far! I have tested it and it worked es designed, but I have to confess that I am in the comfortable situation where I can avoid redundant constraints - especially after having written some 70 pages about sketches. I will provoke redundancies for further tests.
Yup! I have seen you sketcher LateX quest ;)

Of course, if you know how not to get in trouble, that helps.

I have found it specially helpful when applying symmetric constraints. May times, today's solver detects previously introduced horizontal or vertical constraints redundant.

Let me know your findings :)
schupin

Post by schupin »

abdullah wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 pm I have found it specially helpful when applying symmetric constraints. May times, today's solver detects previously introduced horizontal or vertical constraints redundant.
+1 !

This addition saved me a lot of mouse clicks recently.
All the recent improvement on the sketcher are very nice done abdullah !