Arch Texture Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
furti

Arch Texture Workbench

Post by furti »

Hi,

worked on a texturing workbench the last couple of weeks. Now the workbench works pretty OK. So i think it is time to share the Workbench with you.

The workbench can be found here (https://github.com/furti/FreeCAD-ArchTextures). The Readme also contains a small "Getting Started" guide and some technical insight on the project if someone is interested in such things.

As a Picture says more than a thousand words. The workbench can be used to get from something like this
untextured.png
untextured.png (12.71 KiB) Viewed 16019 times
to something like this
textured.png
textured.png (264 KiB) Viewed 16019 times
It is only tested with the Py3/QT5 Builds of 0.18 right now. There is some issue with loading the texture in Py2 Builds.

Maybe this workbench can be of use for others too :)

Edit: There is alo a discussion about texturing in arch module available http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=31667

Edit 2:
When you have a help request please post to the following topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38222
For feature requests or development stuff post to this topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38223

Best Regards
Daniel
Last edited by furti on Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Arch Texture Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

THIS.IS.AWESOME!

Edit1: I wonder if there can be some sort of collaboration or sharing of resources with SweetHome3D ?
Edit2: http://www.sweethome3d.com/importTextures.jsp
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Yes This is really Awesome!!! Another Good News since BIM wb!

Really a Breakthrough for Arch since an old thread on this issue... long anticipating someone can do more and here it is! :lol: (Maybe this works for other WB objects?)

... with elementary Python knowledge, I can only tweak a few features in ArchStairs.py, it seems this is too advanced for me to understand not to mention contributing at the moment...

1. Should this be available on Add-on?
  2. And probably a separate thread in Arch Board for more discussion?
furti

Post by furti »

Thanks a lot for the kind words :)
Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm I wonder if there can be some sort of collaboration or sharing of resources with SweetHome3D ?
At first I will aim for a good feature set and user experience for texturing stuff in FreeCAD. Afterwards the data in the texture configuration might be good enough to export it to other file formats :)
paullee wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:28 am Maybe this works for other WB objects?
Maybe yes, maybe no :lol: I think it depends on what somebody wants to do. The goal for now is to texture arch stuff. The reason for this is that for most arch objects it is sufficient to simply map the same texture to each face. But when it comes to arbitrary objects / meshes this might not be what one expects. It will quickly get very complex with UV unwrapping and stuff. There are applications out there (e.g. Blender) that are really good in this field. Don't know if it is worth the effort to reimplement such things in FreeCAD :)

But if someone has a use case for textures outside the architectural field, I'm open to implement it :)
paullee wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:28 am with elementary Python knowledge, I can only tweak a few features in ArchStairs.py
Now you underestimate yourself. I followed your Arch Stair topic. Pretty impressive what you have done there :)

paullee wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:28 am Should this be available on Add-on?
If there is some interest for this workbench I will create a request to add it to the Addon-Manager.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

furti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am
If there is some interest for this workbench I will create a request to add it to the Addon-Manager.
It is easier for the general public and new users to know about your contribution if your WB is listed in the Adon-Manager. Easy to find, easy to install.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

furti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am But if someone has a use case for textures outside the architectural field, I'm open to implement it :)
I've got a proposal: threads + Torx heads.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

furti wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:13 am
Now you underestimate yourself...
I do not ... I have not even figured out all the code in your InitGui.py :oops: Learning from it. Thanks for checking my attempt on ArchStairs.py...

Anyway, as there is a thread in Arch Discussion Board, maybe have a link here or better still in your 1st post? https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31667
furti

Post by furti »

paullee wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 pm as there is a thread in Arch Discussion Board,
Thanks for the hint. Added the link to my first post.
Pauvres_honteux wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 pm I've got a proposal: threads + Torx heads
I have an idea how this might work. But will need some time until this might be possible :)
paullee wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 pm I have not even figured out all the code in your InitGui.py
I don't know if it is good code or not :D
But basically i use the toolbar manager. This is a small class that holds a list of all available commands and the toolbar it belongs to. And in InitGui.py I iterate over the list and add the commands.
I do this because so the command registers itself at the toolbar manager. And I don't have to write the same line of code in initgui for each command. Normall i copy a existing command when creating a new one. Then the line to register the command is already in it. One thing less i can forget when creating a new command :D

If there is some interest on how/why things work like they do, feel free to ask and i try to explain it :)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

furti wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:33 am
But basically i use the toolbar manager. This is a small class that holds a list of all available commands and the toolbar it belongs to. And in InitGui.py I iterate over the list and add the commands.
I do this because so the command registers itself at the toolbar manager. And I don't have to write the same line of code in initgui for each command. Normall i copy a existing command when creating a new one. Then the line to register the command is already in it. One thing less i can forget when creating a new command :D
Thanks for explanation, that's exactly the first thing I am wondering at!

I also learned OrderedDict googling! - previously only heard of Dict.
furti

Post by furti »

It is possible now to rotate textures for individual faces.

If a face is not mapped correctly like this
face_wrong_orientation.png
face_wrong_orientation.png (222.15 KiB) Viewed 15442 times
you can define a Rotation for the wrong face
face_rotated.png
face_rotated.png (215.31 KiB) Viewed 15442 times
The usage of the tool is documented at the end of the getting started guide.