Project faces onto curved surfaces

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
guih

Re: Project faces onto bended surface

Post by guih »

Hello guys,

Would it be hard to add this feature to the python module Part ? I have many 2d hand drawn details that i would like to project on a barrel to create a porfolio. I'm not really great at programming and, also, it seems more complicated than referencing the c++ functions into a xml to get the desired interface in python :mrgreen: ...

Anyway, thanks for this feature, it is really awesome and pratical ! ;)
CadX

Post by CadX »

apeltauer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 pm Hi all,
i want to introduce a new feature i have developed for the part workbench. The feature is able to do the following:

Capture6.PNG
Capture8.PNG

Project a logo, text or any face,wire,edge to a surface. With the projection part it is possible to create a solid or wire. I use this created solid to create a cut with the underlying solid.

Simple how to:
1. I have create a new feature which can be found in the part workbench with this icon Part_ProjectionOnSurface.png"
2. Open the dialog Capture2.PNG
3. First you have to select a projection surface
Capture.PNG
thanks for this that i have waited for long time from FreeCad... by the way, i found simultaneously that FreeCad "Curves Workbench Addon" team had developed a new command "Curves SketchOnSurface" in Curves Workbench..

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Curves_SketchOnSurface
shouhanwang

Re: Project faces onto curved surfaces

Post by shouhanwang »

Thank you very much for adding this "Projection" function to the DRAFT workbench. Here are my suggestions for improvement if you don't mind: make the "Solid Depth" and "Extrude Height" both parameters modifiable after clicking [OK]. I tried hours to figure out how to make the "projected image" SOLID once I clicked [OK] by leaving the "Solid Depth" as its default at "0.00". All the youtube videos I watched are incorrect, BTW. By making at least the "Solid Depth" parameter available to be modified solved the problem. It also allow us to adjust the depth of the engraving. In addition, allow the adjustment of the "Extrude Height" will help to better control the engraving as well.
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

guih wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:57 pm Hello guys,

Would it be hard to add this feature to the python module Part ? I have many 2d hand drawn details that i would like to project on a barrel to create a porfolio. I'm not really great at programming and, also, it seems more complicated than referencing the c++ functions into a xml to get the desired interface in python :mrgreen: ...

Anyway, thanks for this feature, it is really awesome and pratical ! ;)
Recently, I needed to have access to the projection functionality of the Part module from within Python. So I wrote my own wrapper. Its prototype can be found on https://gist.github.com/CsatiZoltan/f4f ... 78ea1d3d61. It is general in the sense that it accepts the wire to be projected, the surface onto which it is projected and the direction of the projection. Moreover, it is parametric (which is not the case for the built-in tool). It does not feature interactivity, as I needed this class for an automatic workflow. Feel free to give opinions!