Detailed Preferences documentation available

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Detailed Preferences documentation available

Post by Jee-Bee »

wmayer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 pm I don't know if $HOME also exists on macOS but it might be as it also has its roots in Unix.

Code: Select all

Jee-Bee-MacBook:ASPFMA jee-bee$ $HOME
-bash: /Users/jee-bee: is a directory
I think so
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 pm The directory where we put the user stuff is $HOME/.FreeCAD...
sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:39 pm
Thanks, I added this info now.

wmayer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:49 pm SMF = Simple Mesh Format. The link to the specs is here: http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/data/smf/smf.txt
Thanks, this is now in too.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is where to find the config directories: url=https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... rt_anymore
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Detailed preferences description

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:46 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:12 am - The Expand-button inside of the table header is a bit cumbersome. I would prefer something which makes it clearer what is to be expected on expand, such as a heading "Settings" or "Available Settings".
I don't know what you mean exactly. I have just taken the foldable tables as they are also used in the Wikipedia. Could you give me a syntax example of how I should format the tables or an extra header line?
I mean something like the Contents section of wikipedia. It shows a header which collapses/expands a subsection. You may also have a look at the Macros recipes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Detailed preferences description

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 pm I mean something like the Contents section of wikipedia. It shows a header which collapses/expands a subsection. You may also have a look at the Macros recipes.
The Wiki page uses already the same Content as the Wikipedia. Concerning the collapsible content in the page Macros recipes I played a bit. The point is that I prefer a table Therefore I tried to put it into a collapsed <div>:

Code: Select all

div class="toccolours mw-collapsible mw-collapsed">
<div class="mw-collapsible-content">
{| class="wikitable float-right mw-collapsible mw-uncollapsed"
!style="width: 33%;"|Name
!style="width: 66%;"|Description
|-
| {{MenuCommand|Change language}}
| Select the language of FreeCAD's user interface
|}
</div>
</div>
But I prefer how it looks directly with the collapsible tables. I also don't want to reinvent the wheel - the Wikipedia defined collapsible tables and uses it heavily. Obviously the readers accept that style and so I think our users will accept that we use the same collapsible tables as the Wikipedia.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I didn't mean to change the contents, it was only an expand/collapse example. I was rather thinking of something like https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroen_C ... sche_Daten where you see a meaningful headline which can be expanded. Like the Macros recipes the headline tells already what can be expected on expand.
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:35 am I also don't want to reinvent the wheel - the Wikipedia defined collapsible tables and uses it heavily.
That's understandable and interesting. Could you please give me a pointer to such a page? I am probably looking in the wrong corner of the almost borderless wikipedia.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 am I was rather thinking of something like https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroen_C ... sche_Daten where you see a meaningful headline which can be expanded.
I am probably looking in the wrong corner of the almost borderless wikipedia.
The FC Wiki doesn't have a class "BoxenVerschmelzen" defined that is used in the Wiki page you mentioned.

I played now a bit and the best outcome so fare is this:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Prefere ... l_Settings

Nevertheless I like it more when the header line of the table is already shown so that readers get the info what will be expanded.

I don't want to spent too much time on the formatting. I think the Preferences page is now better than before and contains necessary info to use FC in a more powerful way. If readers complain that the exandable tables don't look good, we could become active and e.g. define a "BoxenVerschmelzen" class.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 pm I don't want to spent too much time on the formatting.
Fully agreed.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 am Could you please give me a pointer to such a page? I am probably looking in the wrong corner of the almost borderless wikipedia.
I just saw such a table in this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian ... Passengers
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks.