Merge of Link3 branch into master

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: Merge of Link3 branch into master

Post by user1234 »

This is in the 0.19 master. How to test: right click on any object on the tree and make a link. This goes over different files!
Here for example i make two links of a part. One in an assemly and one in an drawing. There are still issues, but the developer of it (realthunder) makes very good progress. I use it almost daily and i think that i a big jump to an assembly workbench.

Greetings
user
Attachments
_example.png
_example.png (135.36 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Grawp wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm Are there some examples of what can be done with the Link3 on master? I.e. what are the new features.
See Here: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... /wiki/Link
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 am BTW, how can we test it?
Try to recreate this:

P.S. Right clicking on an item in tree view should offer Link related options.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

pablogil wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:04 am BTW, how can we test it? I guess we have to install an Assembly version XX workbench, doesn't it? and more important, which one? :oops:
easyw-fc wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:49 pm Assembly 3 would be the WB, but ATM this is not directly installable AFAIK with FC main branch.
I am currently trying to make it installable through pip, because of the Solvespace Python extension dependency. Should be ready soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
emills2

Post by emills2 »

I Have had very little time to experiment, but i like what i see so far. link within the same document and across documents works identical and feels very clean.

here is my context: I navigate my models from the top level all the time in my work CAD software. open main assembly, pick something to work on, open it. it minimizes cognitive load, as i only need to know where my top level assembly is. i almost always would rather edit the subassembly/part by itself and then switch back to the top level window, rather that edit the part in the context of the main assembly.

I'm not sure i completely understand the tree view when i open a document with a link to an object in another document:
-only one document window is opened, and it shows the linked object with no problem. i like this default, i dont usually want every single possible file open.
-the combo view model tree displays the top level document, AND the document that defines the linked object. this feels unusual.
-clicking or double clicking this second model tree document doesn't open the document.
-right click on the linked object from the assembly document's model tree, click 'select linked object' fully OPENS the linked object's document. this is what i was looking for. 'select linked object' was not a very intuitive label for a method to open a file (for me).
-i can right click and CLOSE the linked document from the model tree, and this throws a warning of some kind on the assembly document. recomputing causes the links to fail. the right click option to 'select linked object' is no longer available on the broken links.
-i saved and closed the assembly in this broken state. upon reopening, the links show errors, but recompute fixes it.

i have read https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... /wiki/Link, and i even understood some of it! i also have read 'most' of the asm3 threads (i miseed a few months worth over the years) but i haven't seen a straighforward reference for:
-make link group
--simple group
--group with links
--group with transform links
-make link
-import links
-select linked object
-select all links
as they stand in the context of the recent merge

these seem to be the extent of the user facing changes from the big pull. i'm not clear yet which options appear in which context and what the nuances are.

I'm excited to see Assembly 3 and 4 get nearer to main branch! hopefully assembly 2+ will also join this linking party!
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

emills2 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am -the combo view model tree displays the top level document, AND the document that defines the linked object. this feels unusual.
You have the option to switch to single document mode, which just hide non active documents in the tree view. I personally find that mode is more confusing.
Screenshot from 2019-08-24 15-16-41.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-24 15-16-41.png (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
-clicking or double clicking this second model tree document doesn't open the document.
This is a bug, I've already fixed it. The PR is pending.

-i can right click and CLOSE the linked document from the model tree, and this throws a warning of some kind on the assembly document. recomputing causes the links to fail. the right click option to 'select linked object' is no longer available on the broken links.
Right click and CLOSE is to force close the document. It is useful, for example, if you want to replace that document with an older version. When you manually open the restored document again, the link will auto recover. If you just want to hide the document, close the TAB instead. This keeps the document open in the background with its 3D view closed, if the document is linked by others. If it is the top level document, however, closing the TAB will truly close the document.

-make link group
--simple group
--group with links
--group with transform links
I'll likely hide the link group actions in the future, and expose similar function through App::Part container.

-make link
This is the basic command to create a Link object to the current selected object.

-import links
This command copies the externally linked object to the current document. There is also a 'Import all links' command that imports all external linked objects to the current document, which makes the document self contained.

-select linked object
-select all links
These are navigation command to jump to linked object inside its owner document. I'll expose similar commands into a global toolbar in the future.

these seem to be the extent of the user facing changes from the big pull. i'm not clear yet which options appear in which context and what the nuances are.
There are other small features scattered around. I'll create a thread listing them when things get stabilized a bit.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

realthunder wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:39 am Screenshot from 2019-08-24 15-16-41.png (39.3 KiB)
BTW, what is "Record selection"? It says something about Navigation Buttons, but I can't find those navigation buttons.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

DeepSOIC wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:21 pm
realthunder wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:39 am Screenshot from 2019-08-24 15-16-41.png (39.3 KiB)
BTW, what is "Record selection"? It says something about Navigation Buttons, but I can't find those navigation buttons.
There are commands to go back and forward to your previous selections. I'll expose these to the view toolbar later.
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 18-39-04.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 18-39-04.png (52.49 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

realthunder wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:41 am There are commands to go back and forward to your previous selections. I'll expose these to the view toolbar later.
OK, I think it's a good idea to bind roll gestures of gesture nav style to these.

Code: Select all

App.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/View").SetString("GestureRollFwdCommand", 'Std_SelForward')
App.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/View").SetString("GestureRollBackCommand", 'Std_SelBack')
for what are roll gestures, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36387
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

This has ceased to be an announcement. Please post in an appropriate forum.