Spreadsheet module

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Re: Spreadsheet module

Post by jriegel »

The savest way is to have code working with the spread sheet is part of the modules, then its under certain control..

Werner and me had the same discussion about the python feature save/restore. Code in our documents is way to dangerous, especially when it comes to big standard parts libraries, or downloads from thingyverse...
If we fumble there, the fcstd files will show up on blacklists of anti virus programs and corporate fire walls. Then the user gets bombarded with security warning if he/she download, copy or transport fcstd files. Then we are basically dead in the water...

Its a bit drastic scenario ;) but we have to be alerted!

Anyway, the spreadsheet is a great tool without programign with it!
Stop whining - start coding!
pinniped

Post by pinniped »

That's excellent. This will be extremely useful for people who have moderately complex parametric designs. I use SW and I always curse not being able to use a free spreadsheet to do some of my parametric tables.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jriegel wrote:Its a bit drastic scenario ;) but we have to be alerted!
Anyway, the spreadsheet is a great tool without programign with it!
Yes, you are right... After all this spreadsheet tool is basically meant to store spreadsheet data somewhere, not to perform extended operations. It is better to keep it simple anyway. Also because I feel that soon people would start to ask for features found in complete spreadsheet programs, which would be out of the scope here... Better to concentrate on making it compatible with other spreadsheet programs, which I intend to do soon (exporting/importing to a couple of common - and open - formats)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Better to concentrate on making it compatible with other spreadsheet programs, which I intend to do soon (exporting/importing to a couple of common - and open - formats)
Probably ODF is the way to go for simple operations like this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word- ... 78944.aspx

Microsoft Office has basic support for ODF 1.1 and Open/Libre Office uses ODF as default format/standard.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

actually i was thinking of starting with even simpler stuff, like .csv or .dif... But who knows, if I can find a python lib to export to odf...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Qt already supports ODF from version 4.5 on: http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq27-odfwriter.html
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:Qt already supports ODF from version 4.5 on: http://doc.qt.digia.com/qq/qq27-odfwriter.html
Oh! Excellent!!! Definitely, Qt rocks!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:Microsoft Office has basic support for ODF 1.1
The Mac version of MS Office does not support ODF! A Mac user told me so.

ODF support would be nice, after all FreeCAD is an open source software and should prioritize open formats. But I think .csv should be provided as well.
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

There is even CSV module in Python.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow! I'm glad you guys get digging out those things... It's even a builtin module!