Luxrender

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Luxrender

Post by yorik »

Line 4 is a blank line normally... I guess either you downloaded the wrong file, or your file is corrupted somehow... Make sure the template looks normal? (Opening it in a text editor, it should be readable)
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

yorikvanhavre wrote:Line 4 is a blank line normally... I guess either you downloaded the wrong file, or your file is corrupted somehow... Make sure the template looks normal? (Opening it in a text editor, it should be readable)

File was corrupted. I rightclicked and saved the link.... works much better once I copied the text and saved it with Kate. :oops:

Looking good. Thank you for the effort!

After a few minuets of "cooking"
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I had to rename one object because there cannot be spaces in object labels. I need to fix that...
Yes i noticed that in the past and i don't think it's only empty spaces related i think it's character (language) related issue too and if this could be fixed it would be great indeed. As a workaround i usually rename objects temporarily but it would be great if original names could be preserved at all time but i didn't test this ATM it might just happen PovRay itself doesn't like characters from some languages inside .pov files... If that is the case could that characters just be converted to something that wouldn't brake .pov file itself and would enable successful render instead?
And with a new template that I just added (LuxOutdoor.lxs). This one doesn't use lightplanes but a luxrender "SunAndSky" object (which should render OK, no matter the size of your model):
Yes this is similar approach i choose for RadiosityNormal.pov template. No plane because it can't be positioned reliably if some variables are not available from the template itself and default light that tries to provide decent results in majority of use cases and not using the plane enables transparent background if user wants an custom background.

Anyway i tested new Raytracing Workbench and it evolved greatly this past few days! I like how i am able to set both PovRay and LuxRender executable paths at the same time in Preferences and few basic tests provided nice results!

Having at least one template for each by default that enables average FreeeCAD users to get decent results at first try with both is great addition too it makes using FreeCAD easy and fun task! New feature to dynamically change camera position is fantastic i did manage to "brake it" with my tests in a way it didn't produce expected results. I managed to do that by using this tool few times on verity of inserted PovRay and LuxRender projects but generally speaking it works great. I managed to find a way to change set templates after objects are added to the project by adding another object temporarily and deleting it "refreshes template" and the whole project doesn't have to be made from the start again just to try different template. If this part could be made automatically by FreeCAD itself when changing selected template from preferences it would be great addition.

Two things i would like to see fixed/changed ATM the most are:

1.) If Image inserted in Image Workbench after PovRay finishes rendering isn't closed or user doesn't switch back to 3D view and users want's to insert new PovRay project it crashes FreeCAD. If there is an easy fix i would like to see this fixed.

2.)Dialogue that informs user his camera isn't in Perspective View should offer two options one is to disregard this as already possible and second one to switch to Perspective view instead of the provided Undo button if this could easily be done i would like to see this change implementer.

P.S. Anyway from now i will have both PovRay and LuxRender installed and set in Preferences and explore both and thank you for enabling us to do that from FreeCAD itself directly!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If that is the case could that characters just be converted to something that wouldn't brake .pov file itself and would enable successful render instead?
Something like:

Ball bearing -> object
Bearing holder -> object1

And just one thing i noticed in RadiosityNormal.pov template 4 empty spaces are added before each line. This doesn't brake anything i just thought i will mention it it's related to how "select all" on this forum works for code tags it adds 4 empty spaces to each line and one workaround i found is to select everything by hand and do copy/paste manually.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The handling of templates has become a bit more convenient now. I've implemented a view provider where you can change the current template by double-clicking or context-menu. And also on creation you can choose the preferred template by using the drop-down menu.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:The handling of templates has become a bit more convenient now. I've implemented a view provider where you can change the current template by double-clicking or context-menu. And also on creation you can choose the preferred template by using the drop-down menu.
Excellent! Very smart addition...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

And also on creation you can choose the preferred template by using the drop-down menu.
Fantastic this clearly shows to new or inexperienced users templates system exist in the first place and for experienced users it's great addition too because now you can easily select template you want right at the start when creating/inserting new Rendering Project.
I've implemented a view provider where you can change the current template by double-clicking or context-menu.
Something like this is exactly what i was missing yes but i did found this behaviour testing changes:

-If i use double click + change template + Refresh (Ctrl + R) it works as expected.
-If i use context menu + Edit project + change template + Refresh (Ctrl + R) it doesn't work as expected the template isn't changed.

P.S. One additional question would it be hard to change current behaviour in a way Refresh (Ctrl + R) operation would be triggered automatically after the template is changed?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Yes, I have seen this too. git 01921f4 fixes this issue.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Just tested the changes and everything works as expected now! Very easy and fun to use.

Thanks!
detlet

Post by detlet »

While spaces in object names are no problem with Luxrender for me (tested with version lux-v1.3.1-x86_64-sse2-OpenCL), povray (tested with Version 3.6.1) don't like them.