Forum migration

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Forum migration

Post by NormandC »

Those new BB tags will be very useful. :)

On that note, there's a "Flash" tag in the toolbar that I assume is for embedding videos, but I have not been able to make it work. What do you think about embedding videos?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:What do you think about embedding videos?
Just a thought ....Would that cause a increase in data flow from the web site? And/or a big increase in storage capacity, possibly increase the Hosting charges by any significant amount?

If so, and if you still wanted to, then I wonder if it could be (or would be a good idea to) implemented only for some people, so we don't get too many?

I could easily be wrong ... it is just a thought.

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

An embedded video would bring no bandwidth increase to the forum. Embedded videos are used by thousands of blogs, websites and forums.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

normandc wrote:What do you think about embedding videos?
I think it would be cool... Many people do video tutorials, it would be very nice to be able to embed them here (indeed it doesn't harm the bandwidth), and it might incentive people to do more of those tutorials. We could even have a dedicated thread or something. Now we just need to figure out how to do that...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:and it might incentive people to do more of those tutorials.
bejant started to make those and I thought it was a nice way to show something. I started to make a few as well, and I think it took me less time than my regular written explanations with screen captures.

bejant hosts his videos on Dropbox, it would be nice if the BB tag could show videos from multiple sources, not only YT.

I'll try to search for more info.

Right now, the Flash tag produces a white square of the specified X,Y size.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

We could do this I think, and nowadays I believe we only need to allow <iframe> tags. So one can copy/paste embed codes from youtube or vimeo... AFAIK dropbox videos cannot be embedded.
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/show ... With-phpBB

It represents theorically a risk, but I believe our forum is safe enough now... what do you think?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Maybe we can use a plugin like that:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2131476

It would have more benefits, e.g. list of all videos... And less dangerous :)
Stop whining - start coding!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I would like to raise again a point I've already mentioned: is it possible to see the "view new posts" site without being logged in? The problem is if you're logged in you only see the posts since your previous log in and there is no chance to see older posts this way. To get older posts you have to go through the different sections of the board which is a bit annoying. That's a feature I really miss from the old SF forum.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jriegel wrote:Maybe we can use a plugin like that:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2131476
It would have more benefits, e.g. list of all videos... And less dangerous :)
The problem is that phpbb plugins seem very complicated... You need to install some stuff directly inside its folders, etc... I'm a bit afraid it makes upgrades difficult. I'll still look for simpler alternatives, maybe we can create some other custom bbcodes...
wmayer wrote:I would like to raise again a point I've already mentioned: is it possible to see the "view new posts" site without being logged in? The problem is if you're logged in you only see the posts since your previous log in and there is no chance to see older posts this way. To get older posts you have to go through the different sections of the board which is a bit annoying. That's a feature I really miss from the old SF forum.
Are you sure? I just tried going on the old forum and log out, there is no "view new posts" link for me... Don't you mean "active topics"? If yes, that exists on the new forum too
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Are you sure? I just tried going on the old forum and log out, there is no "view new posts" link for me... Don't you mean "active topics"? If yes, that exists on the new forum too
Yes. It's true that the link doesn't appear if you are logged out but anyway you can access the url:
search.php?search_id=newposts