Units in Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tday

Re: Units in Sketcher

Post by tday »

Sorry, its the latest development. And to clarify the sketch measures 25.4" not mm.
Troy
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Latest development means nothing to us. Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
tday

Post by tday »

Whoops, my bad. I'll get it.
tday

Post by tday »

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3310 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cd03973a9bd853a8553f1142403bb48259e4dd3e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a

Thanks,
Troy
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

tday wrote:OS: Windows 7
Version: 0.14.3310 (Git)
As I said, it's outdated - more than 300 commits behind.

I just tried in the real latest development release. I noticed that if you just type a number, and don't add a unit suffix (either in or " will work), the value is automatically converted as if you had typed in mm. I typed 1 and it was converted to 0.03937 in.

Version: 0.14.3657 (Git)
Hash: 92a565f6acb42daae2188a763b80461e46e91090
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0
nahshon

Post by nahshon »

I'm using this thread to ask about other inconvenience with the Sketcher.
sketch.png
sketch.png (21.31 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
With the addition of units, and not rounding the values the datum-entry box is just too small. This is confusing because the most significant digits may not display.
Also, the initial placement of the cursor is after the units.

IMHO these changes may be more friendly:
1. The default size of the datum entry window should be larger (at least wide enough to display the current value).
2. Initial position of the cursor may be just after the last digit and before the units identifier,
*OR*
3. Pre-select the value so it's possible to type in a new value immediately when the box is opened.

Also, an old feature that I never liked, please do not open the datum entry box any time when a datum is selected from the constraints menu (use double-click to or context menu to change value?).

Version: 0.14.3649 (Git)
Hash: 409285d53f2e6efdd6b867ceb8f960c8e6e62dd1
Python version: 2.7.5
Qt version: 4.8.6

Thanks,
-- Itai
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

nahshon wrote:The default size of the datum entry window should be larger (at least wide enough to display the current value).
I had noticed this before, but not anymore in the recent PPA version I'm using. I had been playing around with my settings so I can't say for sure if this has been fixed or if it's something I changed inadvertently.
nahshon wrote:*OR*
3. Pre-select the value so it's possible to type in a new value immediately when the box is opened.
I'd prefer this way, so that the behavior is consistent (except right now for Pad, which I mentioned here).
nahshon wrote:please do not open the datum entry box any time when a datum is selected from the constraints menu (use double-click to or context menu to change value?).
I don't think I understand; are you referring to the Sketcher Toolbar menu, the Constraints window menu in the Combo View, or the Pulldown Menu? Unless the Sketch is open for editing and I select an item of geometry in it, my Sketcher Constraints tools are greyed out...

There is another units related thing I wanted to mention; for some reason when in imperial units the grid defaults to .393701 inches...

Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3653 (Git)
Hash: 2fcce866a73bb4c3d5ca55195d676dc7e0fad3ab
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
ralvejd

Post by ralvejd »

bejant wrote: There is another units related thing I wanted to mention; for some reason when in imperial units the grid defaults to .393701 inches...
.393701 inches=10mm
sorry for my outrageous English, but I have a bad excuse
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

bejant wrote:
nahshon wrote:*OR*
I'd prefer this way, so that the behavior is consistent (except right now for Pad, which I mentioned here).
A big +1 on this. The Datum used to be pre selected and all of a sudden it was not. Very frustrating as I click on a distance constraint, start typing in the distance and then notice the mess I have. This really needs to go back to the way it was. :cry:
bejant wrote:
nahshon wrote:please do not open the datum entry box any time when a datum is selected from the constraints menu (use double-click to or context menu to change value?).
I don't think I understand; are you referring to the Sketcher Toolbar menu, the Constraints window menu in the Combo View, or the Pulldown Menu? Unless the Sketch is open for editing and I select an item of geometry in it, my Sketcher Constraints tools are greyed out...
I'm sure he is talking about the distance constraints in the Combo View. Another thing that is a bit frustrating. most of the time, when I click on one of those constraints in the combo view, it is to remove it. Having to click off the Datum dialog ends up being a pain. Single click to select, double click to edit makes more sense to me.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

quick61 wrote:I'm sure he is talking about the distance constraints in the Combo View. Another thing that is a bit frustrating. most of the time, when I click on one of those constraints in the combo view, it is to remove it. Having to click off the Datum dialog ends up being a pain. Single click to select, double click to edit makes more sense to me.
When I do a single click on a dimensional constraint in the Constraints list, the datum box does not open. Only a double-click opens the datum box.

I'm thinking this is a desktop environment issue: Isn't KDE set to open everything with a single click rather than a double-click?

nahshon, from your screen capture I'm guessing you're using KDE as well?