Units in Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
candriver

Re: Units in Sketcher

Post by candriver »

normandc wrote:Well, you know it now don't you? ;)

The developer who implemented units is a European not used to the US/imperial system. If you have a suggestion for a better description, don't hesitate. Hopefully the devs will be reading.
I had to work with both US/imperial system and metric on different projects and I remember it was always a challenge to switch from one system to another. Fortunately there are many converter websites, which provide calculators for online conversion, US/imperial system to metric and backwards.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam links
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

candriver wrote: I had to work with both US/imperial system and metric on different projects and I remember it was always a challenge to switch from one system to another. Fortunately there are many converter websites, which provide calculators for online conversion, US/imperial system to metric and backwards.
That sounds like you don't understand just how clever the FreeCAD units system truly is.

Underneath the GUI everything in FreeCAD files always remain in default units, e.g a length is always assumed to be mm.

What the FreeCAD units system does is two things. Firstly you set the desired Units scheme, and that determines what FreeCAD shows in the GUI. Secondly input is intelligently read so no matter what Units you have set to display, you can still input ANY other units system....e.g you can have a fully metric model and display (as is the default) but then enter "1 inch" and freeCAD will convert that to 25.4mm automatically...not need for you to convert anything.

In 0.14 the Units system was not fully implemented so there were still many input widgets that were stuck in mm. But there is a units conversion tool built into FreeCAD so you can enter the other units in that, and copy paste the answer in mm. See Tools menu...Units Calculator in all workbenches.

by the way Mark, you probably already know this but if you don't, or for the record,
quick61 wrote:Yes, KDE opens files and folders with single click

that is only true "by default" it is easily changed in the system settings. :)

I am not know if that is a KDE default or just a Kubuntu default.
jhasler

Post by jhasler »

yorik wrote:It's also very easy to "fork" a units scheme and create a new one... They are pretty simple files, and well commented, one for each schema, in src/Base folder (all the "UnitSchema*.cpp files)
That should be "UnitsSchema".