Units in Sketcher

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

Re: Units in Sketcher

Post by jriegel »

This behaviour is defined in the Unit-System-schema. The only imperial schema at the moment does rather fast switching, but we can add other schemas geared more toward inch for example... Its rather easy to implement. But I think thats works for people which use and know the imperial system. For me its still a crazy measurement system ;)
Stop whining - start coding!
din743

Post by din743 »

jriegel wrote:This behaviour is defined in the Unit-System-schema. The only imperial schema at the moment does rather fast switching, but we can add other schemas geared more toward inch for example... Its rather easy to implement. But I think thats works for people which use and know the imperial system. For me its still a crazy measurement system ;)
So will it be possible to switch off completely the automatic switching between units of one schema?
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Sure!
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

found a small bug: The Inputfield does not detect a wrong value if it starts with a german "umlaut" (ä ö ü), the icon indicates a valid input.

Stefan
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Uh,
now comes the UTF-8 revenge!
KimK

Post by KimK »

Using the daily PPA for Ubuntu 12.04 (3296 Git) I also have the previously reported problem with Sketcher. If I set a dimension (horizontal) to 11.999 inches it shows as 11.999 ". But if I change it to 12.001 inches, it shows as 1.00008 ' . If I change it back to 11.999 inches, it does go back to showing as 11.999 " though, so that's good.

I would like to join those voting against the auto-switching of displayed units, there should be (like the metric version) one selected unit to display in. Additionally, I would like to urge improving support for decimal inches, since that is a very popular choice for CNC machines in the US. So maybe 0.100" and 0.010" inch grids would be handy too.

Is the grid pick list user editable? Could I add those grids myself? I would happily delete miles, furlongs, etc., and never miss them. Same with that long list of fractions, decimals for me please.

Thanks very much for finally getting the English version out, even if still somewhat preliminary. Please let us know what we can do to help test (especially decimal inches!), and how we can help in any other way.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

All the unit schemas of FreeCAD will switch the unit at some value. We can sure add another inch centric unit-schema. I would switch above, lets say, 9999"...
How should we call that schema?

I think I will remove the drop box for the grid and use a InputField, so the user can add an arbetrarie unit value....
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jriegel wrote:How should we call that schema?
"Decimal Inch" or "Machinist's Inch" would be well understood.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

My vote is for Decimal Inches, or Inches Decimal, everyone in the U.S. who is of grade school age or older knows what that means. The term Machinists Inches isn't as intuitive, somehow it reminds me of a bakers dozen...
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I vote for a Decimal inch schema as well. I work in a machine shop environment and that is what we call it. We have to switch between metric and inch units a lot there and I don't worry about foot, yards etc- just inches or mm. Most of our digital measuring equipment will switch between units (decimal units that is) but not foot, yards. It's all just a matter of mulitplying by 25.4 for me.