[finally released] FreeCAD 0.19 Windows installer release candidate

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

[finally released] FreeCAD 0.19 Windows installer release candidate

Post by uwestoehr »

Dear FreeCAD Windows users,

after some hard work in testing FreeCAD 0.19 under various Windows versions (Win 7 and Win 10), on PCs with different CPU, with different screen resolutions, graphic cards etc., all known Windows-specific issues are now fixed.

As result, we can provide a release candidate of the FreeCAD 0.19 Windows installer: https://github.com/donovaly/FreeCADInst ... ller-4.exe

Please test it out and report of you could install it without problems, if you can create meshes, start different workbenches and example files, if the basic tools like taking screenshots and measuring work etc.

For information: When you start the installer with administrator privileges, you can choose to install FreeCAD for all users of your PC or only the current user.

Note: it is expected that Windows 10 might tell you that the installer is an executable and therefore potentially harmful. You can ignore this and trust the installer.

thanks and regards
Uwe
Last edited by uwestoehr on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JellyPalm

Re: FreeCAD 0.19 Windows installer release candidate

Post by JellyPalm »

Hello,
forgive my ignorance:
what does this do?
I currently open my v19 pre-release FC verions from GitHub as instructed.

cheers,
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

JellyPalm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:28 am forgive my ignorance:
what does this do?
It's a proper installation package that if accepted would then be made available on the website here : https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php replacing the 0.18.4 that is there currently, that is my understanding anyway!!
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

:oops:
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... download popup:
Win_Installer_FC.19.PNG
Win_Installer_FC.19.PNG (7.71 KiB) Viewed 6677 times

Interesting: I suppose it's still for 64bit (didn't even try it, because owning a Win10_32 system).
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:22 am if the basic tools like taking screenshots and measuring work etc.
Just for info : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p486500
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

hammax wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:50 am Interesting: I suppose it's still for 64bit (didn't even try it, because owning a Win10_32 system).
Yes, the installer is for 64bit only. That was also the cases for all FC 0.18.x installers.

As I wrote, a warning is to be expected. The Windows heuristic is strange. On some PCs it always outputs a warning, just because of the file extension. In these cases one could e.g. rename it from .exe to .zip and then Windows is silent. On some PCs is is always silent because it knows FreeCAD as a trusted program. Windows obviously "learns" that when several users trusted the file, it is safe. So short after we released the installer for 0.18.x, Windows stopped warning users.

However, this is a complicated issue since nobody knows how the Windows algorithm works. Windows obviously likes .msi installers more than executables, also if the installer is signed (like the one of FreeCAD) and despite an msi installer can be as harmful as an executable installer.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:27 pm Just for info : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p486500
Thanks. I can confirm this. However, I don't think it severe to delay the Win installer release. I also commented in the according thread.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

The reported FEM issue is already fixed and I fixed some uninstaller issues.

Here is the, hopefully final, installer for FC 0.19.1: https://github.com/donovaly/FreeCADInst ... ller-1.exe
zardozer

Post by zardozer »

I'm testing the latest install (19.1 windows installer posted here), loaded up a couple of assemblies (assembly 4), and noticed that it won't change to wireframe. Points, shaded, and flat lines don't seem to work either, although hidden line and no shading work fine. Anyone else get this?

I loaded up the latest mac preview, and it does the same thing as well. Is this a bug that's been there for a while now?