Arch survey tool

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
shoogen

Re: Arch survey tool

Postby shoogen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:44 pm

yorik wrote:Other things such as placements also use vector properties, they will also need a solution some day
They do it by now, don't they?
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Oh wow! I hadn't noticed. But the vector proporty apparently still doesn't use units. I'll have a look at how it is implemented for placements
bernd

Postby bernd » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 pm

suggestion: a sum mode

checkbox --> if the checkbox is acivated a adding (sum) mode starts --> if the first shape is a face only faces are possible to click --> all areas of the clicked faces are added and couloured green for control --> if a face is clicked twice it gets the original colour again and the aerea is not added to the sum --> if the checkbox is clicked again the sum is printed.

same behavior for edges and volumes.
saso

Postby saso » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:43 pm

bernd wrote:suggestion: a sum mode

checkbox --> if the checkbox is acivated a adding (sum) mode starts --> if the first shape is a face only faces are possible to click --> all areas of the clicked faces are added and couloured green for control --> if a face is clicked twice it gets the original colour again and the aerea is not added to the sum --> if the checkbox is clicked again the sum is printed.

same behavior for edges and volumes.
+1

... i would go with the simple, fast and standard ctrl+click to add or remove from the sum and just update real time while the ctrl is down. could go with a different background color of the value to show it is a sum. 8-)

ps: speaking of keyboard keys, any reason why shift+middle mouse is not doing orbit in cad mode? :|
saso

Postby saso » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

and maybe changing the l, a, v with some mini icons like this below?
Attachments
sumicons.png
sumicons.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
sumicons.svg
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
icons.png
icons.png (539 Bytes) Viewed 2686 times
icons.svg
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Last edited by saso on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bejant

Postby bejant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:39 am

saso wrote:any reason why shift+middle mouse is not doing orbit in cad mode?
You could try MMB + LMB
(or try MMB + RMB, which is probably easier if you're right-handed...)
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 am

I modelled this concrete block, I wanted its volume of concrete used in its construction, so I thought I would try the Arch Survey tool to get the volume of the solid, but for me it did not work completely and would not give me the volume. I think the problem is I got an error message which then aborted the operation and when closed it left some of the annotations in the treeview.

Vertex - works
Edge - Works
Face - works
Click twice for solid - some results with error message

report view output

Object: Mirrored, Element: Vertex4, Zcoord: 180 mm
Object: Mirrored, Element: Edge10, Length: 190 mm
Object: Mirrored, Element: Face5, Area: 25,686.7 mm^2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/user/Downloads/cad/FreeCAD/clone2/build_master/Mod/Arch/ArchCommands.py", line 811, in addSelection
self.callback(True)
File "/home/user/Downloads/cad/FreeCAD/clone2/build_master/Mod/Arch/ArchCommands.py", line 867, in survey
anno.BasePosition = o.Object.Shape.CenterOfMass
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'Part.TopoShape' object has no attribute 'CenterOfMass'

here is the fcstd file
concreteblock.fcstd
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

here is a screen shot
screenshotconcreteblock.jpg
screenshotconcreteblock.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
FreeCAD data

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3650 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 8dbbdd3dd86432a79149f8065731372a76fe2942
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0

By the way since I couldn't get the volume from Arch survey I then tried the updated "info" WB from Keith sloan's website, it didn't work properly, the task view was empty and could not be cancelled. I ended up getting one of the Macros to work that Mario worked on and posted on the wiki.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:31 pm

Wow, that's the first time I see a shape without CenterOfMass! It's a compound... I thought compounds had center of mass too. Anyway I'll fix that ASAP.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:33 am

Hi Yorik
I tested a few Part and PartDesign shapes and since all Part Booleans and PartDesign Pattern features create a compound (usually a compound of a single solid) they (the compounds only) all produce this error. I made this test file with a few random Part and PartDesign shapes to test your Arch Survey tool. So I thought I would post it, in case it is of any use. :)

Jim
testshapesforcompound.fcstd
(68.46 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Ok this is now fixed. It estimates by the center of the bounding box, in case the shape doesn't have a center of mass... I also gave a bit of polish to the units. I noticed that even if you use the meters unit schema, areas and volumes still come in mm² and mm³. I'll try to fix that too