InvGears Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sebasg84

InvGears Workbench

Post by sebasg84 »

Good evening from Argentina. My name is Sebastian Garcia.
I wanted to announce the release of a workbench I have created. This allows to create involute gear systems.
Although I noticed that currently there is a workbench to create gears, but when I started to develop the algorithm I was using Autodesk Inventor, and I didn't know about FreeCAD.
I started programming the algorithm in SciLab. I knew FreeCAD at the end of last year, and decided to create a workbench for it.

The gear generation algorithm is based on the book "The geometry of involute gears".

Given a set of parameters corresponding to a pair of gears, the algorithm finds the geometry of both gears.
It is also possible to create a body with two gears, allowing the creation of cascading gears. In addition, it is possible to create internal gears.
A very important parameter that was added is an offset for 3D printers. The offset of the gears is calculated analytically, since the derivatives of the geometric equations were obtained to achieve this goal.
On the other hand, it is possible to create gears in an SVG file independently. If you want to create gears in SVG from those already created, this last tool allows you to load the parameters of these gears and then create the SVG file.
InvGears makes use of PartDesign to create bodies in which the gears are located. This allows the gears to be modified using PartDesign.

A small example of how to use the workbench is presented in the following video
https://youtu.be/lxtZ2gQRi88

Link to workbench
https://github.com/sebasg84/InvGears

Any errors, doubts or suggestions are welcome.

Best regards and thank you for creating such a powerful software as FreeCAD
chrisb
Veteran

Re: InvGears Workbench

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

To install via the Addon Manager:
Snip macro screenshot-bf5ced.png
Snip macro screenshot-bf5ced.png (72.03 KiB) Viewed 10093 times
Click the Configure button to bring up the dialog, paste into the github rep URL, restart the Addon Manager.
Workshop_Notes

Post by Workshop_Notes »

Good morning.

Thanks for your workbench.

I wonder if you would be good enough to say a few words about how you model the root fillet of the gear.

The involute part itself is very well-defined. As you are familiar with Colbourne's book, you will understand the term 'lowest point of single tooth contact' from his Chapter 7. What is your workbench doing below this point?

If the gears modelled by your script are to be made by an additive machining process (e.g. 3D printing), maximising the fillet at the root would seem to offer a good way to ensure maximum strength.

Thanks.
sebasg84

Post by sebasg84 »

The root fillet is obtained according to chapter 9. Following all geometrical equations.

Basically the root filllet of the gear is obtained with the pinion cutter. The pinion cutter is exactly the same as the pinion, with the difference that the tip radius is equal to the tip radius of the pinion plus the clearance, and the tip is rounded according to rcT.

The algorithm for creating the gears was first implemented in Scilab.

In the following video, you can see first the gear with the pinion cutter, and then the gear cutter with the pinion.

phpBB [video]

According to the existence or not of undercutting the Contact Ratio is calculated in a different way, taking into account the equations exposed in the book.

The parameter mc represents the Contact Ratio.

I'm sorry if my English is not very good, I have to improve this one.
sebasg84

Post by sebasg84 »

New version!!!

-Spherical involute gear were added
-The use of Part is incorporated for a better workflow, which allows to obtain links with other parts and animations easily
-Task panels were improved

phpBB [video]
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Wow! O_o
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

sebasg84 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 am Good evening from Argentina. My name is Sebastian Garcia.
I wanted to announce the release of a workbench I have created. This allows to create involute gear systems.
Although I noticed that currently there is a workbench to create gears, but when I started to develop the algorithm I was using Autodesk Inventor, and I didn't know about FreeCAD.
I started programming the algorithm in SciLab. I knew FreeCAD at the end of last year, and decided to create a workbench for it.

The gear generation algorithm is based on the book "The geometry of involute gears".

Given a set of parameters corresponding to a pair of gears, the algorithm finds the geometry of both gears.
It is also possible to create a body with two gears, allowing the creation of cascading gears. In addition, it is possible to create internal gears.
A very important parameter that was added is an offset for 3D printers. The offset of the gears is calculated analytically, since the derivatives of the geometric equations were obtained to achieve this goal.
On the other hand, it is possible to create gears in an SVG file independently. If you want to create gears in SVG from those already created, this last tool allows you to load the parameters of these gears and then create the SVG file.
InvGears makes use of PartDesign to create bodies in which the gears are located. This allows the gears to be modified using PartDesign.

A small example of how to use the workbench is presented in the following video
https://youtu.be/lxtZ2gQRi88

Link to workbench
https://github.com/sebasg84/InvGears

Any errors, doubts or suggestions are welcome.

Best regards and thank you for creating such a powerful software as FreeCAD
Amazing!
Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to imagine the tons of work you did to get a workbench like this.
Congratulations!
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
jmmartin

Post by jmmartin »

Great work Sebastian!! I think I can speak for all the Telegram Group "FreeCAD en Español", to say that we are very proud of the excelent work you are doing. Its great that you could find in FreeCAD a good develpment tool to continue with your work in gears that was started in SciLab. I hope the community can help testing and suggesting modifications. I think it was a good idea to incorporate the Animator Macro, another excelent work from the community.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Hello @sebasg84 -- I invite you to submit your workbench to the list available in the Addon Manager by following the instructions here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addo ... collection

You might also consider adding a package.xml metadata file, as described here: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Package_Metadata -- this will enable a new forthcoming version of the Addon Manager to integrate your workbench's icon without it needing to be directly included in FreeCAD, and will allow some additional information to be displayed to users.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com