Draft Layer

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ulrich1a
Veteran

Re: Draft Layer

Post by ulrich1a »

Searching names for a new thing is the most difficult part.
Maybe Drawing-Layer?
I would avoid a proprietary name in free and open software. And the format-options could be also a useful thing in SVG-drawings.

Another way to implement drawing options, could be adding drawing properties for each part in the property editor.
There could be a Drawing-layer-definition in the document tree. And the property editor will than have a selection box where you could choose a user defined Drawing layer definition.
This is more FreeCAD like.

Ulrich
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes I don't want to use DXF either, becuase this group, although useful to import DXF layers, has nothing to do with it.
I still vote for VisGroup. I think it conveys the idea better of what it does.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:...I still vote for VisGroup ...
For sure much more better than layer :) .

But still we might will have other kind of groups which are visgroups as well. Mhh we gone find a proper name for them too. :)

I vote for VisGroup too.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Draft Group?

In the end this is Group Tool and for example we say Draft Move and that is quite intuitive phrase. That implies it is a group feature and probably has additional/different features compared to Standard Group and it can be found as tool in Draft Workbench. As we learn by using FreeCAD one can use tools from one workbench in another one the name Draft Group does not imply it can only be used in Draft Workbench!

Probably this set of guidelines could become naming convention when faced with similar feature naming challenges because i could easily imagine each workbench could have its own (set of) Group Tool(s)!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Layer Group based on my test is affected by the same behaviour as described here:
1. When I try to pad the Sketch it fails with message "No valid sketches in this document" and "Please create a sketch or 2D object first". If I move the sketch out of the group "Random name" I can pad the sketch.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6400#p51509

But only for example in Part Design Workbench and not in Arch Workbench. In Arch Workbench it moves for example Circle out of Layer Group when creating a Wall feature. I mentioned it here in case your solution could be used as standard solution in other workbenches or if another solution will emerge and you can re-use it for Layer Group.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

triplus wrote:Layer Group based on my test is affected by the same behaviour as described here:
Yes that is normal, the draft "layer"/group inherits everything from the default group...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes that is normal, the draft "layer"/group inherits everything from the default group...
Yes i was thinking this could be the case. I overlooked something and that is in Arch Workbench Circle does not become a Child of Wall and stays in the Layer Group. I was to quick in my assumptions it works the same way as for example Pad -> Sketch relation! I thought you did something special for Arch Workbench to overcome that for Layer Group but i was wrong it just works differently in the first place.