Ordering addon Workbenches

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Ordering addon Workbenches

Post by uwestoehr »

Hi Chris,

I have a wish. When I installed a new WB it appears unsorted as last entry of the WB list:
pM0TEFLdsU.png
pM0TEFLdsU.png (28.5 KiB) Viewed 2183 times

Could you trigger a resorting after a new WB has been installed?
chennes
Veteran

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by chennes »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 pm I have a wish. When I installed a new WB it appears unsorted as last entry of the WB list:
Could you trigger a resorting after a new WB has been installed?
When do you see the Workbench list like that? As far as I know the new WB shouldn't even show in that list until after a restart, and at that point it should be alphabetized. (I looked into not requiring a restart, but it would require a pretty large refactoring of FreeCADInit.py)
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 pm Could you trigger a resorting after a new WB has been installed?
Please not. I see that this can be convenient, but I for example like to have the core workbenches all (or mostly) at the top and the addons at the bottom. You can rearrange to ordering by customization. It would be nice if the list of selected workbenches contained a sort button.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IIRC that was a deliberate change in the code to place installed addons at the end, they used to be ordered automatically. Can't remember when this happened but it's been like that for a long time.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 pm When do you see the Workbench list like that?
The Addon manager restarted FC, then I see the 2 WBs I installed as last ones in the list.

This is a minor issue but today I taught colleagues how to assembe using Assembly 4. After our session they installed it on their machines (using this build of rev 27271: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds) and they complained that is is not in their list. In fact it was in their list, but as very last. I showed them how to sort but I agree with them that it is unintuitive that it is not automatically sorted.

@chrisB: in my opinion we must focus more on average users than developers. For an average user a WB is just a WB. They don't care that/how/why e.g. Robot is an "official" WB while Assembly 4 is hosted in another Git repository and thus not "official". This is pure developer knowledge. And as developer you can anytime reorder the WBs as you like.
rynn

Post by rynn »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:22 pm Could you trigger a resorting after a new WB has been installed?
I don’t want the list to be sorted at all. I have the workbenches I use most (Partdesign, Sketcher, Part, Fastener, Mesh) at the top and I want them to stay there.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

It sounds from this discussion that this is not a choice for me to make: maybe start a new topic about it?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I would say alphabetical sorting could be the default when a new workbench is added or one is removed, but this could be overridden with a user parameter.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

rynn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 pm I don’t want the list to be sorted at all. I have the workbenches I use most (Partdesign, Sketcher, Part, Fastener, Mesh) at the top and I want them to stay there.

Have you seen my last post? Defaults are in my opinion there to please average and new users. And not sorting obviously confuses new users.
Experienced users know how to reorder and can do this easily.

@chennes: I opt to make a setting in the addon preferences not to sort after installing. Expert users can set this option and then no sorting is triggered on addon actions.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am I would say alphabetical sorting could be the default when a new workbench is added or one is removed, but this could be overridden with a user parameter.
:+1: