Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marcin86

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by marcin86 »

And there is also more thing Channels :)

-> Library package (Parts) - tab
-> 12 package packs with simple name (Mechanical / Bim / Viewer)
-> pop-up menu on start with "Always on start" + "Classic/Modern-UI switch)
-> Material package (tab)

Why do we need Materiel package?
What is the best package?

I have one more idea. I was working in 10-13 companies as a designer and all companies have different in Inventor/SW material packages. Normal people - hobby people (not mechanical) they need simple packs (name for etc. Junior designer): Metal, Wood, Glass, Stainless steel, bronze, ... maybe 10 materials. Professional designers will need different material packs: Mechanical designer: 235JS / 355JS / 304 / 316L / 1.4010 / Al 8062 / Al 8080 / ......... , Printing guys: PA6, PA12, etc....... Bim guys: I don't know- >steel x, steel y, concrete c20/ c25

Maybe we can add not only "Library packs" in tab of Add-on manager but also "Material package / Material Packs"?

Best regards
Marcin
Attachments
abc.PNG
abc.PNG (57.98 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

why in the world would you need the addon manager at each startup? :shock:
Classic/modern UI switch is simply not a good idea given that the "modern ui" is a external addon and not part of freecad, such a switch should only be implemented if both alternatives are built-in or else modern ui bugs will be reported to freecad developers who have nothing to do with it. Then if it becomes a built-in alternative the switch should be on the preferences page not the addon manager.
Packages containing material definitions sound like a good idea, maybe techdraw templates too?
-> 12 package packs with simple name (Mechanical / Bim / Viewer)
I don't fully get this one, is this like the idea that's been floating around for some time about having workbench presets to activate/deactivate them according to the user's field of work? If so I don't think we are at a stage to do that and I'm not sure this is the right place for that.
marcin86

Post by marcin86 »

-> why in the world would you need the add-on manager at each startup? :shock:

No no... it's not for me and you. "Idea" is to make it more simpler-menu for newcomers who don't know Freecad very well. So in Addon'manager-Package there will be some box that you can un-hacht "Always on start" so more skilled designers will turn it off. Freecad should be "beginner-friendly". It's not for me and you :)
Attachments
x1.PNG
x1.PNG (45.87 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

even if I was a beginner I would not want the addon manager at every startup. At most the first time only and even then I don't think it's appropriate to show the addon manager at startup, it is not essential and the code downloaded there is from third parties.
marcin86

Post by marcin86 »

Maybe I didn't say it correctly - not Addon-manager but "Package configuration" on startup with uncheck box.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

marcin86 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:04 pm Maybe I didn't say it correctly - not Addon-manager but "Package configuration" on startup with uncheck box.
Don't hijack the topic. What you call a configuration is something completely different.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rynn

Post by rynn »

Sorry to say that, but I don’t like the new addon-manager.

‣ To check all installed packages for updates is more complicated now. You have to

· select package → package view
· run Check for Update
· run Update
· go back to the main-view

for every package.

‣ The log-windows that shows what hase been done by update is gone.

‣ There is still no Updata all installed packages button or Check all installed packages for Update button.

‣ There is still no way to show the status of installed packages only, ore at least sort the installed packages to the top.

‣ The please restart comes after every single update.

‣ There probably is a translation-problem:
code like

Code: Select all

translate("AddonsInstaller", "Failed to read metadata from") + f" {installed_metadata_file}")
is not easy to translate, because it requires the installed_metadata_file to be at the end of the translation. A german translation might be

Kann keine Metadaten von {installed_metadata_file} lesen.
Crowdin only shows “Failed to read metadata from” to the translator.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Thanks for your comments.
rynn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:53 pm ‣ To check all installed packages for updates is more complicated now. You have to
Agreed: I'm currently modifying it so that the "Update all" all button does double-duty as a "Check for updates" button when automatic checking is turned off.

‣ The log-windows that shows what has been done by update is gone.
It's now accessed by a drop-down to the left of the progress bar. Is there specific information you want displayed? My general impression was most people only cared about "worked" or "didn't work".

‣ There is still no Updata all installed packages button or Check all installed packages for Update button.
The "Update all button" currently exists, but only does something if automatic update checks are enabled. They default to being off (I didn't change that default). You can change it in Preferences. As I mentioned above, the "Check all for updates" button is coming soon.

‣ There is still no way to show the status of installed packages only, ore at least sort the installed packages to the top.
That's a good feature suggestion, I'll have to think about the best way to implement it. It's basically another kind of filter, so probably some option in the top bar. I'm open to ideas here.

‣ The please restart comes after every single update.
This is more an issue when updating one at a time: if you use the update all button you only get it once. I can add a flag that indicates you've already seen the dialog once this session though, and not show it again.

‣ There probably is a translation-problem:
code like

translate("AddonsInstaller", "Failed to read metadata from") + f" {installed_metadata_file}")
is not easy to translate, because it requires the installed_metadata_file to be at the end of the translation. A german translation might be

Kann keine Metadaten von {installed_metadata_file} lesen.
Crowdin only shows “Failed to read metadata from” to the translator.
Thanks for this feedback: effective translation is indeed very difficult, I'll have to take a close look at the various strings like this and see if I can come up with a better solution.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
rynn

Post by rynn »

chennes wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:09 pm
‣ The log-windows that shows what has been done by update is gone.
It's now accessed by a drop-down to the left of the progress bar. Is there specific information you want displayed? My general impression was most people only cared about "worked" or "didn't work".
Yes, but it vanishes with the progress-bar the moment the update is finished. I’m not fast enough to klick it.
I would prefer a log-tab, that shows the output of all operations, especially if there will be update all installed packages functionality.
First I liked to see the git-output: How much has changed and what files.
Second, if something goes wrong I want to see the output.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I've added the "Check for updates" button in git commit 80b95225f. It only shows if you have automatic updates disabled, and have not checked for updates on this launch of the Addon Manager. If you click it, it will hide itself after the check is complete, but can be accessed again by closing and re-opening the Addon Manager. I think it is a rare case where you'd want to check for updates twice in a single session (but of course correct me if I'm wrong here!).

Note that due to some Windows compilation problems at the moment I was only able to test in Linux.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com