Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rynn

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by rynn »

chennes wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 pm I pushed a significant change under the hood yesterday -- can you try re-caching?
re-caching helps, but I still get error-messages

Code: Select all

Addon Manager internal error: lost metadata for package sheetmetal
Failed to read metadata from /home/berberic/.local/share/FreeCAD//Mod/sheetmetal/package.xml
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

chennes wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 pm I pushed a significant change under the hood yesterday -- can you try re-caching?
Thank you for the answer. I am not a programmer and am on Xubuntu 18.04. Re-Caching.
How does that work please?
rynn

Post by rynn »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:45 am Re-Caching. How does that work please?
There is a button in the lower left of the Addon-Manager window.
Screenshot_20220127_115358.png
Screenshot_20220127_115358.png (94.49 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

rynn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:57 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:45 am Re-Caching. How does that work please?
Great, all my custom settings have been reset, my desktop, my colours - and the addon manager still doesn't work. That's not nice.
rynn

Post by rynn »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:23 pm
rynn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:57 am
Great, all my custom settings have been reset, my desktop, my colours - and the addon manager still doesn't work. That's not nice.
Addon-Manager recache should not reset custom settings, desktop or colors.
chennes wrote:ping
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:23 pm Great, all my custom settings have been reset, my desktop, my colours - and the addon manager still doesn't work.
Obviously that's not supposed to happen: recaching should just delete the Addon manager's cache folder. From FreeCAD's console can you tell me the output of:

FreeCAD.getUserCachePath()
and

FreeCAD.getUserAppDataDir()
ETA:

On a totally different topic...

I'm still working on migrating to a better display technology for the detailed view (e.g. the README for Workbenches, and the Wiki for Macros). I've just pushed a new Pull Request for your testing and evaluation: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5458 . Particularly if you have slow internet, I need your feedback on how you feel about the rendering of the details page (the page you get when you select an Addon in the list view). There are a number of advantages to using a QWebEngineView, mostly related to render quality and expected page behavior, but I think some disadvantages too. Please let me know what you think.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

chennes wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:55 am On a totally different topic...
I've just pushed a new Pull Request for your testing and evaluation: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5458 . Particularly if you have slow internet, I need your feedback on how you feel about the rendering of the details page (the page you get when you select an Addon in the list view).
Hi @chennes,
I tried it out with my slow internet connection (down: 15 Mbit/s, up: 2 Mbit/s) and it works great ... I could notice only two minor issues:
  • while refreshing the cache the list was displayed somehow strangely. But in the end everything was ok again:
    screenshot_addon_manager.png
    screenshot_addon_manager.png (108.94 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
  • before showing the cleaned up detail view for workbenches and macros I can see for a second or two the github banner. That borthers a little.
Thanks for your amazing work :D
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Thanks for testing.
balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:13 pm [*] while refreshing the cache the list was displayed somehow strangely.
Yes, because of the way that set of widgets is created it's possible for them to overlap until the final recalculation is done. I may be able to prevent that from ever displaying by blocking repaint events during the recache, but it was not high on my priority list :) .
[*] before showing the cleaned up detail view for workbenches and macros I can see for a second or two the github banner. That borthers a little.
Agreed -- that was the big design decision I had to make here, whether to show the web page as it is constructed, or keep it blank until the end. Do you have an opinion between those two options?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

As I already mentioned, both are small issues ;)
Regarding the second issue, I personally would prefer to wait a second or two longer while seing the progess bar than to start reading immediately and then lose orientation due to a new document reformatting.
But that's just my point of view. :D
What do you think about showing an explanatory message instead of a blank page when no detail infos are found?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

balrobs wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:31 pm What do you think about showing an explanatory message instead of a blank page when no detail infos are found?
I'm working on that right now -- it turns out there is no way to get the HTTP response code out of the QWebEngineView, so I'm trying to find another way (that doesn't involve re-downloading the page data, hopefully).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System