NEW FEATURE ! Sketcher Tool Settings.

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: NEW FEATURE ! Sketcher Tool Settings.

Post by -alex- »

I mean shift.
JFYI there is a thread about shortcuts in FC, opened by @openbrain. But I can't find it ATM sorry.
OK, here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44973
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

a more recent one specific to sketcher were many shortcuts were changed by abdullah:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41272
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

So I posted the PR : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5389

-alex- wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:29 pm Thanks @paddle for the great job done here.
But please do not use Maj or CTRL keys as shortkeys because Maj+RMB and CTRL+RMB are already used to rotate and pan in 3D view, even in sketch editing mode (a bit buggy in this mode BTW) . Rotate and pan this way is very useful to avoid carpal tunnel syndrom.
Regarding this, I'm not sure it would create so many conflicts. Because the ctrl keypress is sent to viewproviderSketch which then handles it as it usually does (send it to the tool handler or other). And if the tool handler catch the ctrl (so only when polyline is used) I don't know if that prevent further use down the line.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

-alex- wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:34 pm I mean shift.
JFYI there is a thread about shortcuts in FC, opened by @openbrain. But I can't find it ATM sorry.
OK, here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44973
I just tested and it doesn't create any conflict. Both work simulatenously.
If you are in edit mode, and being using polyline after second line, pressing shift + RMB will change mode once, then rotate. So it's really not a big deal here.
It actually works better than in bare edit mode because the right click doesn't trigger the menu which makes shift+RMB buggy in sketcher. :D
Even with other tools, when you press shift + RMB it will exit the tool because of the right click, then start bugging with right click menu.
While in this polyline from second line, it doesn't exit the tool and rotate correctly. Maybe there's a way to solve your bugs hidden in there :)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't think it's desired to change polyline mode when one want's to use mouse navigation...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

-alex- wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:29 pm please do not use Maj or CTRL keys as shortkeys because Maj+RMB and CTRL+RMB are already used to rotate and pan in 3D view, even in sketch editing mode (a bit buggy in this mode BTW) .
This depends on the mouse model. I use the Gesture model, and the rotate key combo is ALT+LMB.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:42 pm This depends on the mouse model.
It shouldn't interfere with an o the mouse models, and "pressing shift + RMB will change mode once, then rotate" is exactly one mode change too many.
It was also discussed to use the modifiers for the global shortcuts, so they shouldn't interfere with those. I have the strong feeling that while creating a polyline the new stuff shouldn't be active at all. I mean you don't start adding dimensions for a rectangle either before you have added the second point.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:25 pm I don't think it's desired to change polyline mode when one want's to use mouse navigation...
No but it seems it doesn't happen very often. Even rotating while in sketcher in general is not done so often.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm I have the strong feeling that while creating a polyline the new stuff shouldn't be active at all.
That's also a possibility. To not activate the tool for polyline. But it works well and if you already know the dimensions of the shape you want it's most useful. Dumping it for the sake of keeping the 'M' shortcut feels wrong, against change and improvement.
Shift shortcut works well. It's only a small usecase where you want to rotate in sketcher (not often) with shift + RMB (not often and which doesn't work properly in sketcher.) while using the polyline tool (not often). And the outcome is just that it change the mode of the tool when you start the rotation.
Beside we can use another key than shift. What about the F3-F12 keys? Or Screenlock or pause (though most laptop won't have those).
Edit : Beside maybe we can just catch the +RMB in the polyline tool and cancel the mode change if + RMB is done.
I mean you don't start adding dimensions for a rectangle either before you have added the second point.
I don't understand what you mean. Why don't you add dimensions of a rectangle before adding second point? If you know you want a 20 by 20mm rectangle why would you wait until you have second point before adding the dimensions manually ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm It's only a small usecase where you want to rotate in sketcher (not often) with shift + RMB (not often and which doesn't work properly in sketcher.) while using the polyline tool (not often).
I think you are very wrong here, perhaps due to personal experience. I have read here several times that a user starts almost always using polyline - but only if they are familiar with the M key.
I mean you don't start adding dimensions for a rectangle either before you have added the second point.
I don't understand what you mean. Why don't you add dimensions of a rectangle before adding second point? If you know you want a 20 by 20mm rectangle why would you wait until you have second point before adding the dimensions manually ?
A rectangle in sketcher is drawn by clicking two points, either diagonal or center plus corner. Perhaps I misunderstood your tool, but can you specify the width of a rectangle before having clicked the second point?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.