[New feature] Sketcher Constrain Contextually

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: NEW FEATURE ! Sketcher Constrain Contextually

Post by paddle »

Glad you like it !
Please let me know if you find any bug/issue.

Regarding the radius diameter, maybe we could add a preference setting in sketcher settings ? Such that user can select if he prefers radius, diameter or auto when he is using Constrain Contextually.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am ...Regarding the radius diameter, maybe we could add a preference setting in sketcher settings ? Such that user can select if he prefers radius, diameter or auto when he is using Constrain Contextually.
when you say "auto" do you mean a choice at a point of using?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

bambuko wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:55 am
paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am ...Regarding the radius diameter, maybe we could add a preference setting in sketcher settings ? Such that user can select if he prefers radius, diameter or auto when he is using Constrain Contextually.
when you say "auto" do you mean a choice at a point of using?
I meant auto as current auto tool. So radius for arc and diameter for circles

Though having this preference setup doesn't mean that we could'nt also have the key to alternate.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:11 pm ...I meant auto as current auto tool. So radius for arc and diameter for circles..
understand - that would be good and better than not having a choice at all, but nowhere near as good as having also "proper" choice ;)

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:11 pm ....Though having this preference setup doesn't mean that we couldn't also have the key to alternate....
yes, please (highlight and underline mine)
thank you :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

An option in Preferences -> sketcher sounds like a good idea :idea:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

TBH, I don't want to system thinking for me.

I want to decide, actively, if I want a diameter constraint on an arc.

Or, a radius constraint on a circle.

I simply don't want to system guessing my intent.

So, if this is changed, PLEASE make a setting to turn off system guessing.

:mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:46 pm TBH, I don't want to system thinking for me.

I want to decide, actively, if I want a diameter constraint on an arc.

Or, a radius constraint on a circle.

I simply don't want to system guessing my intent.

So, if this is changed, PLEASE make a setting to turn off system guessing.

:mrgreen:
I agree with you.

For now I introduced the possibility to alternate between available constrain with SHIFT key.
So if you select a circle or arc with the tool you get radius, click shift it becomes a diameter. Shift again back to radius.

It wouldn't be hard to select radius first or diameter first based on arc or circle. But I'm not familiar with how to implement a preference setting. If I have time down the line I'll look into it.

Do you guys have other ideas of alternate constraints based on selection?

One line selected could alternate between distance, vertical and horizontal. But my issue is that when the system applies the constraint, it moves the geometry. So if you alternate to horizontal, then the line becomes horizontal, if you alternate back to distance, the line will still be horizontal. So that's not good.
I need to find a way to recompute only when the user validate it's constraint choice.
Last edited by paddle on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grub

Post by Grub »

A checkbox to toggle between diameter or radius in the dimension window might be a good compromise for demanding users :?:
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Grub wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:01 pm A checkbox to toggle between diameter or radius in the dimension window might be a good compromise for demanding users :?:
I just made something similar with the SHIFT key. When it's pressed it changes.

What they ask for is the automatic choosing of radius when it's an arc, and of diameter when it's a circle. But all people do not agree this is the best behaviour.

So the idea would be to add a setting in the system preferences to enable the 'guessing' or radius vs diameter.
A checkbox to enable guessing in the Tool Settings wouldn't work because it gets reinitialized everytime you launch a tool.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

paddle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:59 pm ...I need to find a way to recompute only when the user validate it's constraint choice.
Hmm...simply not necessary if the users chooses what the user wants, not the system...

TBH, I simply don't need more augmentation keys to remember...and you seem intent on adding more and more.

I shouldn't need a cheat sheet hanging on sticky notes around my monitor. (That's what Blender is for... ;) )

Sorry, I just see so many full on additions that would be good in sketcher and selecting constraints is already functional...just click a boomin icon.

Yes, I know I'm just old fashioned. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."