The FreeCAD Project Association

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chris_G
Veteran

Re: The FreeCAD Project Association

Post by Chris_G »

Hey Yorik,
That's fantastic news ! Thanks a lot to you and everybody involved in this project.

openBrain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 pm Where can I buy a T-shirt? :lol:
:lol: I'll take the full set, along with the mug and the USB key :lol:
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay, so I understand we want an e-shop right away? :D

There are a lot of possibilities we can do with the FPA. My own idea is mostly to start small and not get in the way of FreeCAD, and see how it grows, but yes, I think many companies will welcome that and we could use the FPA to help companies to get on board with FreeCAD.

I don't think it would be able to offer courses, support, etc... at least in a first moment, but we could definitely use it to say "we can connect you with developer X or Y who can provide the service you need" and do a kind of "bridge" that companies need. It's not much really, it's more like placing a kind of "official stamp", "approved by the FreeCAD Association" on things, but I believe it's mostly what companies need.

If some people inside a company want to use FreeCAD, it's hard for them to sell the idea to the company boss. There is no contract possible, no "who do I talk to". The boss, who doesn't know a thing about FOSS, will not feel secure and comfortable. The FPA could change that. We could build "official" procedures and contracts, explain "officially" to the bosses how things happen when you use FreeCAD, what they can count on and what they can't (that is basically what there is in a contract), etc.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:19 am Okay, so I understand we want an e-shop right away? :D

it's more like placing a kind of "official stamp", "approved by the FreeCAD Association" on things, but I believe it's mostly what companies need.
Well done.
yorik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:19 am The FPA could change that. We could build "official" procedures and contracts, explain "officially" to the bosses how things happen when you use FreeCAD, what they can count on and what they can't (that is basically what there is in a contract), etc.
Good point.

When will be T-Shirt ready, in time for Summer? You will ship all over Europe, Brussels is not out of reach, and Belgian beer is good, but shipping is better, maybe an Amazon shop?

This will be a good way to "raise money", at least you receive something for your money. :D

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

This is great new! :D

It will interesting to watch as things unfold.

And +1 for the tee shirts and other swag.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ubiquity

Post by ubiquity »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:19 am Okay, so I understand we want an e-shop right away? :D

There are a lot of possibilities we can do with the FPA. My own idea is mostly to start small and not get in the way of FreeCAD, and see how it grows, but yes, I think many companies will welcome that and we could use the FPA to help companies to get on board with FreeCAD.

I don't think it would be able to offer courses, support, etc... at least in a first moment, but we could definitely use it to say "we can connect you with developer X or Y who can provide the service you need" and do a kind of "bridge" that companies need. It's not much really, it's more like placing a kind of "official stamp", "approved by the FreeCAD Association" on things, but I believe it's mostly what companies need.

If some people inside a company want to use FreeCAD, it's hard for them to sell the idea to the company boss. There is no contract possible, no "who do I talk to". The boss, who doesn't know a thing about FOSS, will not feel secure and comfortable. The FPA could change that. We could build "official" procedures and contracts, explain "officially" to the bosses how things happen when you use FreeCAD, what they can count on and what they can't (that is basically what there is in a contract), etc.
Congratulations on the initiative.
I think the 'Blender' experience could be a useful parallel here.
Although I have only been an observer it seemed to me that Blender's progress towards 'industry standard' (and they are not there yet) hinges on a firm philosophical intent such that requests to make it behave more like Maya, for instance, have been resisted in favour of providing the same or similar functionality without compromising the fundamental code and general direction. The other thing I observed was that studios were happy to trade dependence on proprietary software for Blender, at the point where it was sufficiently mature to meet most of their needs, and willing to invest some of the saving into making it an even more mature product. One would hope that FreeCAD can offer a similar experience in the architectural and engineering space.
OS - Linux Mint 19 & Win10 (both 64bit)
IT Training & Support (retired)
Cheers Paul
a.l

Post by a.l »

Great :) Thanks!
I guess this in some way means the end for the topological naming problem in the "near" future https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4752 in regards to having a "product" that simply works and doesn't break. It would be stuff like that a lot of people would throw their money into having fixed/working!

Have you considered giving FreeCAD an official version 1.0 as to "convince" companies that FreeCAD is serious and not an alpha grade product?
(Some people often look at version numbers as a way to assess "quality". Personally I don't bother since I have been emerged in Linux for many years now.)

Also I found FPA mentioned here:
https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FPA
Looks great :)
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Well done Yorik this is really good news.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

This is a FANTASTIC NEWS @Yorik!!!
Really thanks to make it happen. I could only imagine the huge efforts of all you involved to create this.

And this now, I'm SURE, will create a REAL difference. FC now will spread in the world in (parametric) CAD like Blender for 3D Artist!
Companies too now will have interest in FC, this is REALLY a game changer.
onekk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:59 am
You will ship all over Europe, Brussels is not out of reach, and Belgian beer is good
Now I want FCA Belgian beer!
:D :D 8-) 8-)
Last edited by ragohix769 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

Awesome news! Thank you!

Also +1 on the merch shop! :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:43 am Now I want FCA Belgian beer!
Probably "on Draft" :lol: !
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.