Draft BSpline tool

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Draft BSpline tool

Post by yorik »

Normally if you snap the last point of your spline to the first one, the spline commands ends, showing that it "understood" that you closed the spline. You can also hit the "close" button. But if you didn't check the "fill" checkbox while drawing the spline, it will appear as wireframe instead of "flat lines". That can be changed in the "View" properties of the spline after it is created (select it, then in the proporties editor, view -> display mode)
headbanger

Post by headbanger »

Hello and thanks for this wonderful CAD, I have been like 4 days in a row with minimum sleep teaching myself how to use this tool. I am a former Rhinoceros user. One little thing though:

I don't have the BSpline tool in my interface. I'm using freecad_0.11.3729-1lucid1_i386.deb on Ubuntu 10.10. Is there a way to activate it? I really need to be able to create curves in a 2d drafting workbench.

Thanks!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi,
I'm not sure from which revision the splines were introduced, but probably if you don't see it on the toolbar you have a too old version. So 3 possibilities: wait for someone to make a newer release, compile freecad yourself from sources (it's not too hard) or wait/hope/help the automatic PPA we're trying to setup
headbanger

Post by headbanger »

Will compile and report back. Thanks again, you are an awesome dude.
headbangeraudio

Post by headbangeraudio »

Yep. Everything is working now. I grabbed a SVN version as instructed in http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... pileOnUnix.
THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

great! be sure to give us some feedback as what you liked/missed in freecad! feedbacks from experienced cad users are very valuable.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorikvanhavre wrote:or wait/hope/help the automatic PPA we're trying to setup
I'm thinking FreeCAD should have two PPAs: the daily-builds one, and another with less frequent updates, because the daily-build one will be bleeding edge, some people may not want to have updates every day, and let's not forget that occasionally, some features may get broken. Once a package is built on Launchpad, it can be copied easily into another PPA. So someone could copy a daily-build package to the other PPA manually after he's checked it's relatively stable.

Both PPAs could be registered to the freecad-maintainers group, we could have for example:
  • ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily for the daily-builds
  • ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-dev which could be updated once every 7 to 15 days.
We could even have a third one for more stable releases, updated once every 2-3 months.

What do you guys think?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Good idea... I'm not sure we need the "stable" release because normally there is a stable release from time to time that goes through the debian->ubuntu standard way, but the "less than bleeding edge" one is good