Extended selection window

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Extended selection window

Post by saso »

i have remembered we have been talking with bernd about something similar in another topic and have posted this video, maybe it can help to get some ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0V_8EGYHgU
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

yorik wrote:You can also double-click an item, which does the same as the "select only" option.

That's it for now, but it can fo course be extended further.
With Sketcher open, selecting a Constraint from the Constraints widget causes it to appear in the Selection Window.
In the Selection Window, we can right-click on that Constraint to get the "Select Only / Deselect / Zoom Fit / Go to Selection" pop-up window.

I'm wondering:
If the user selects "Zoom Fit" from the pop-up, could the Zoom Fit be applied to a Coincident Constraint? Or, in the case of a Coincident Constraint, maybe zoom in to 25% fit at so there's not just one big solid red circle in the 3D window?

Coincident Constraints seem to be the only ones now that can at times be difficult to find, and maybe this could help? If a user has Conflicting Constraints the user can click on the (click to select) message to have FreeCAD select them in the Constraints window. From there the user can select a Constraint from the list and it appears in the Selection Window. What I'm referring to is that from here the user can right-click on the Constraint in the Selection Window and select "Zoom Fit" to have FreeCAD Zoom Fit (but at maybe 25% of the whole screen) to see the location of that Coincident Constraint.

It would be really nice if hovering the cursor over a Constraint in the Selection Window caused it to be highlighted in the 3D window too, as is done with items in the Elements widget...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Might be a good idea indeed, but that could also be implemented directly in the sketcher (in the constraints list).
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

yorik wrote:Might be a good idea indeed, but that could also be implemented directly in the sketcher (in the constraints list).
I your idea is even better!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote:... Would it be possible to have a switch to search in all Properties instead only the label? I'd be fine with that one allready.
At least in all properties which uses strings as values. Is there any chance to get that? Checked src/Gui/SelectionView.cpp but my C++ is just poor ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes it could be done of course, just not sure how yet...
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Looks great so far, i am really impressed, good job yorik.

May i suggest adding "invert selection" to the options ?
I know that from solidworks and quite often you have a situation where you
like to change properties of all objects except for one specific.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

hm good idea too... Anyway this topic will be good to gather all ideas to extend that window.