FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Founder

FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Post by jriegel »

I want to announce my little side project (besides Assembly) - FreeCAD-VR.

Yesterday I finished the integration of the Oculus Rift into FreeCAD. The 3D view is now able to open a extra window (onto the extra monitor which the Rift driver brings in the system) and render the scene into it.
FreeCAD-Oculus_Rift.jpg
FreeCAD-Oculus_Rift.jpg (284.54 KiB) Viewed 22697 times
The menu entry to start the VR-Window is in the View menu. If the Rift window has the focus you can navigate by keys: w,s,d,a and the arrow keys. Since some models are at millimeter scale you are also able to size it up by + and - keys.

My further plans:
* Python interface for view point control and scene management
* Wiki page
* Turn table and mirror bottom
* XBox controller
* maybe integration of my Kinect and Razer Hydra..

I also will announce this on the Oculus developer platform and in Coin3D project (whats left of it). So maybe we will have additional not CAD-adapted traffic ;)

At the moment its only tested on Windows, but should be no problem to port it on Linux!
So if some one of the Linux devs has a Rift, I would be glad we could port it...

At the moment the code is in my branch "jriegel/Rift" on sf.net. To build you need the Oculus dev kit and have to switch on the option FreeCAD_VR in cMake. Later on I will commit into master and make it part of the windows release.
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Re: FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Post by yorik »

Now I wish I had a rift :)
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

I posted a link on r/oculus
jriegel wrote:At the moment its only tested on Windows, but should be no problem to port it on Linux!
So if some one of the Linux devs has a Rift, I would be glad we could port it...
Unfortunately there is no DK2 and SDK 4.x support on Linux yet:(
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

yorik wrote:Now I wish I had a rift :)
So do I!

I read about the attempts to build poor-mans VR goggles using a smartphone ans some 3D printed parts or even folded up cardboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Cardboard

I guess these are not compatible to Occulus on the software side. But how difficult and how much work would it be to make this work?
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I think its a good idea to wait till the final version arrives, which has probably even higher resolution. Next year, its not so far of ;)

Meanwhile there are a lot other problems.

The new Direct To Rift mode is not even work under Windows with OpenGl, only DirectX so far. Using the Rift as an additional monitor is a pain in the ass.

So we will see a lot of driver hacking and changes in the next months! I will use this implementation mainly to play with user interaction models in CAD. Also we need more tied control about our triangle budget, fPS lower then 40 are a pain and gets you sick very fast!

CardBoard is tied to the Android platform, and so far I'm not aware of an Android port of FreeCAD :lol:

@Yorik
Yes, I saw a lot of applications in your field with the Rift. Maybe its one of the fields (after gaming) where the Rift get a lot of traction in professional work! But I tell you, we all need a MUCH bigger graphic card!!!!
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

jreinhardt wrote: But how difficult and how much work would it be to make this work?
It uses a smartphone, so you have 2 options:
a) video streaming from PC, unacceptable bacause of latency (compression+transmission+decompression > 50ms)
b) port FreeCAD (or Coin3D viewer) to Android. It could work, see Samsung Gear VR with Note 4 inside. Note (pun not intended): Android in Note 4 is very customized, recreating these changes in an other smartphone is not easy, not sure if even possible. Relevant Carmack's talk http://youtu.be/VO6T4M4VMuk?t=4m27s
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

jriegel wrote:so far I'm not aware of an Android port of FreeCAD :lol:
I think we will see this in the next years. http://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/view.php?id=25146
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

jriegel wrote: The new Direct To Rift mode is not even work under Windows with OpenGl, only DirectX so far. Using the Rift as an additional monitor is a pain in the ass.

So we will see a lot of driver hacking and changes in the next months!
"OpenGL working in Direct HMD mode using Direct3D interoperability (updated)"

jriegel wrote: I will use this implementation mainly to play with user interaction models in CAD. Also we need more tied control about our triangle budget, fPS lower then 40 are a pain and gets you sick very fast!
Time-warping?
shoogen wrote:
jriegel wrote:so far I'm not aware of an Android port of FreeCAD :lol:
I think we will see this in the next years. http://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/view.php?id=25146
https://plus.google.com/116274964615566 ... vPPh62X6cF
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

This is really cool! Hell of a side project :)
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I've come to this too, but I don't want to waste time with workarounds. The Direct Render will come for OpenGl soon (hopfully)...
kwahoo wrote: Time-warping?
Yes thats one of tricks to get a smooth movement, but there is no way you get a good impression without <20ms move to photon. And we talk about rendering twice. And if the consumer rift get a 4k display we need really monster machines for everything serious CAD models. Or the big architectural stuff Yorik do! No way a smart phone can do that in any time in the future. Nice little games with very little triangle count - sure. But CAD? No way....

Who was this guy who said that 640kB are enough memory anyway ? :lol: