FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hpthgpjo

Re: FreeCAD-VR: Oculus Rift

Post by hpthgpjo »

I'm looking in the view menu but I can't find a vr option? Also has touch support been added or is being planned on being added?
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

Reviving this thread, because a lot happened in VR world in the last few weeks.

Finally we have a standard, open platform for VR and AR OpenXR

There is also an open source XR runtime called Monado
The biggest issue with Monado/OpenXR at this moment is limited device support. Monaro supports OpenHMD hardware only, which means that it has very limited support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and some other headsets. Rift S and Valve Index seem not supported at all.
OpenVR hardware support is much better, but it is dependent on proprietary SteamVR. In future OpenVR should be replaced by an OpenXR implementation.

There is another interesting project, xrdesktop. xrdesktop is a VR compositor supporting KDE and Gnome Shell. It also takes care about input from VR controllers.

The screenshot shows xrdesktop running on my Valve index.
schurik

Post by schurik »

kwahoo wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 pm Reviving this thread, because a lot happened in VR world in the last few weeks.

Finally we have a standard, open platform for VR and AR OpenXR

There is also an open source XR runtime called Monado
The biggest issue with Monado/OpenXR at this moment is limited device support. Monaro supports OpenHMD hardware only, which means that it has very limited support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and some other headsets. Rift S and Valve Index seem not supported at all.
OpenVR hardware support is much better, but it is dependent on proprietary SteamVR. In future OpenVR should be replaced by an OpenXR implementation.

There is another interesting project, xrdesktop. xrdesktop is a VR compositor supporting KDE and Gnome Shell. It also takes care about input from VR controllers.

The screenshot shows xrdesktop running on my Valve index.

Hello, this is very interesting for me.

Do you think this open Source platform gets more developed in the next couple of weeks? I have the Oculus Rift S (and it seem not to be supported) :cry: and the Sony PS VR (not connected to my PC yet... just found out it's possible)

would be nice to know. Thx
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

schurik wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:46 pm
Do you think this open Source platform gets more developed in the next couple of weeks?
Definitely yes. All big players (including Oculus and Valve) declared that they are working on OpenXR support. Oculus added some OpenXR bits to their latest SDK already.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Now we just needs some devs to implement it. @jriegel isn't active in FC anymore.
Last active:Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:31 am
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

I started some tinkering with OpenVR (since OpenXR does not support my hardware yet). My initial idea was using SoOffscreenRenderer to render textures just like jriegiel did. But it seems that this method does not work anymore(?). Even as simple example as this crashes for me with X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

Binding framebuffer and using glFramebufferTexture2D seems to be a better approach.

Anyway, for some initial experimenting, there are Python bindings for OpenVR pyopenvr.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kwahoo wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:38 pm I started some tinkering with OpenVR (since OpenXR does not support my hardware yet). My initial idea was using SoOffscreenRenderer to render textures just like jriegiel did. But it seems that this method does not work anymore(?). Even as simple example as this crashes for me with X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

Binding framebuffer and using glFramebufferTexture2D seems to be a better approach.

Anyway, for some initial experimenting, there are Python bindings for OpenVR pyopenvr.
Awesome! I suggest you open a new forum thread. x-post it to here so people can follow. And then feel free to 'blast' the forum with questions. FC documentation leaves a lot to be desired, especially scenegraph (coin3d/pivy etc...).
Thanks for looking in to this
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs