Fillet !

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrispaiva

Fillet !

Post by chrispaiva »

Hi Fellows, greetings from Brazil.

I am starting to use Freecad and I am trying to get used to it. I am totaly newbie with 3D apps. I spent some time with Solidworks so far.

I am intend to produce some gliders wing and fuselage molds for my personal use. Fiber Glass Molds.

I would like to have some help in how to apply fillet in just some object parts.

Any suggestions ?

chrispaiva

Re: Fillet !

Post by chrispaiva »

Was it clear ? I dont know the right way to apply a fillet on the (red circle) area. If someone could help me I would be happy. :-P
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

chrispaiva wrote:Was it clear ? I dont know the right way to apply a fillet on the (red circle) area. If someone could help me I would be happy. :-P
No, it was not all that clear. Are you wanting to apply the fillet to only the area circled in red? and leave the rest of the tangent edge un-filleted?

You can do something like this -
PartFillet.png
PartFillet.png (29.26 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
- but there is not a smooth transition. That was done by cutting where I wanted the fillet to stop, then making simple copies of the part and the cube used to cut and making a common, then after the fillet, fusing the Fillet part and the common part back together. When you make a Fillet on an edge, it will follow the edge through it's tangents to the end.

It would also help if you would post the file with the part in question. There may be other ways to accomplish what your wanting to do.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrispaiva

Post by chrispaiva »

Quick61, you got the idea. Sorry for being confusing :-P

The main purpose is breaking the sharp edge that will result of CNC cut

Check this image. The edges of the curved area are rounded

Image Image

In that image it seems that all the edges are rounded but I want a sharp wing saddle and the top circle rounded, or even combined filled areas.

I am figuring how to apply different actions on the same edge...

Drawing...
cone.FCStd
(31.04 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Ah, a sloper. You know, the fastest RC aircraft in the world are gliders working the back side of slopes. ;)

I've been at this from several different angles and can't get it to quite model out with a smooth transition. The most you can fillet that edge is 0.3 mm, so I'm wondering if it might be something left to hand finishing after the CNC work is done? At 0.3 mm, that is not much material to remove.

Maybe someone else might have some suggestions.

Mark
chrispaiva

Post by chrispaiva »

a little bit off topic here....
Yeah, I am a Dynamic Soaring Addicted... :-P
505mph World Record, Weldon CA.... check it out.... :-P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPJ6DUAY10

Back to fillet issue :-P

I did some search on forum threads and I guess the correct name of this action would be someting like Variable Radius Fillets.

I could choose the edges I wanted and did select the variable radius fillet option. The action results error without a datailed message.

Image Image
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Try it with a maximum fillet of 0.3 mm. Anything beyond that will result in failed geometry.

Mark
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Actually i wanted to create small step by step tutorial based on Variable Radius feature. That took me about 5 minutes to finish. But after i wanted to use Boolean Union as single part needs to be created for export purposes. That took me 10x more time and didn't work and i gave up:
Fillet.png
Fillet.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
chrispaiva

Post by chrispaiva »

triplus wrote:Actually i wanted to create small step by step tutorial based on Variable Radius feature. That took me about 5 minutes to finish. But after i wanted to use Boolean Union as single part needs to be created for export purposes. That took me 10x more time and didn't work and i gave up:
It seems you had good results...

Would you mind share the file ? I would like to open and check your steps....
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrispaiva wrote:
triplus wrote:Actually i wanted to create small step by step tutorial based on Variable Radius feature. That took me about 5 minutes to finish. But after i wanted to use Boolean Union as single part needs to be created for export purposes. That took me 10x more time and didn't work and i gave up:
It seems you had good results...

Would you mind share the file ? I would like to open and check your steps....
Additional steps done to your file:
Half.png
Half.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
  • Cut last feature in half (insert Cube).
  • Select the result and use Part -> Fillet -> Variable Radius on 2 edges (i used 0,6 mm and 0,01 mm).
  • Use Part Mirror (YZ) on resulting Fillet.