units: foot

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shootquinn

units: foot

Post by shootquinn »

Freecad general settings offers inches for units, but not feet, and arch does not seem to have any ability to switch from metric.

Is there a way to switch Arch to feet and inches?

searching this forum for: foot, feet, inches returned zero results.

Librecad does offer foot as the primary unit, so I started using that for this project, but it's making me lose my mind :D
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: units: foot

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
You definitely didn't search too well, but never mind ;)
If I switch unit system in preferences to US customary, anything between 1 foot and 2.7 ft is displayed in feet. Above that, yards appear. I remember people asking to remove yards from unit system, probably because of this...
shootquinn

Post by shootquinn »

Edit --> Preferences --> Arch --> Defaults tab, what do you see?

After a re-launch of freecad with the units set to inch I do see inches in arch tools (wall, etc). However trying to input a dimension using feet (48') for example is not a valid entry, and entering it without the apostrophe it defaults it to thou.

Freecad arch tutorial is not up to date and says there is no option to change this, and that arch should be conisdered 'unit-less'.

I just repeated my search of the arch subforum and the only two posts that came up are the two from this thread.
shootquinn

Post by shootquinn »

Drafting in librecad and then importing the dxf to make a model for isometric view may be an option for me (though a painful one).
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

shootquinn wrote:searching this forum for: foot, feet, inches returned zero results.
use google search. It is much better ... https://www.google.ch/search?q=sys.appe ... cadweb.org
shootquinn

Post by shootquinn »

Ok, clearly my intent was not interpreted correctly here.

I chose not to post in the help section because I wanted ARCH developers to be aware that 1. Defaults in inch units cannot be set in the arch settings, 2. Typing in a foot value does not work when creating walls, etc.

These are ARCH specific questions/complaints, not questions on dimensioning or using freecad normally in inches (I'm about 50/50 inch/metric).

I have learned LibreCAD now and finished my rough draft and I will continue to play with Arch now that I have DXF files to play with (I can put the calculator down now :D )

Thank you for your help, and I wish ARCH a happy development.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

shootquinn wrote:1. Defaults in inch units cannot be set in the arch settings
That is true. It needs to be implemented at some point, it is now possible since we can use the units widget in preferences pages.
shootquinn wrote:2. Typing in a foot value does not work when creating walls, etc.
All seems to work correctly for me.. I can enter things like "3 ft" anywhere... What is your version of freecad?
shootquinn

Post by shootquinn »

yorik wrote:
shootquinn wrote:1. Defaults in inch units cannot be set in the arch settings
That is true. It needs to be implemented at some point, it is now possible since we can use the units widget in preferences pages.
shootquinn wrote:2. Typing in a foot value does not work when creating walls, etc.
All seems to work correctly for me.. I can enter things like "3 ft" anywhere... What is your version of freecad?
THANK YOU, I'll try typing in 3 ft. I was typing 3' (error) or just 3, which takes it as thou. For some reason 3" is an acceptable input and not 3'...

I'm on Ubuntu nighties.

Thanks again!