From a 3D part to EVERY 2D dimensions...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rider_mortagnais

From a 3D part to EVERY 2D dimensions...

Postby rider_mortagnais » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm still fighting against FreeCAD about the same (attached) part, related to my previous topic :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12728&hilit=strange ... +of+fillet.
The end result, to validate on my bike, was 3D printed :

When I started, I thought it could be good to learn how to use the software, even if it takes some time.
But now I encountered so many issues - and it doesn't stop - that I wonder if it's worth continuing or going for a cracked one. :/
As the forum is a good way to learn/solve problems, I keep some hope! ;)

So here is the main question, my part being finished (3D wise) :
How do I do to create the 2D views with dimensions (for the machine shop)??
Last edited by rider_mortagnais on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie in CAD!
triplus

Re: From a 3D part to EVERY 2D dimensions...

Postby triplus » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:04 pm

In general you create appropriate views on desired drawing sheet in Drawing Workbench. As for adding dimensions you have two general options:
  1. Use the tools in Draft Workbench and create 2D view in Draft Workbench. After add dimensions with Draft Workbench tools. Put the result on drawing sheet in Drawing Workbench by using the Draft Drawing tool.
  2. Create drawing views in Drawing Workbench and use 3rd Party Module Drawing Dimensioning to add appropriate dimension.
P.S. If you need any further explanation just ask.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 am

Draft Dimensions can be linked to an edge of your solid, so they automatically update with any changes, you may need to adjust your Draft working plane to make the Draft Dimensions display correctly.
rider_mortagnais

Postby rider_mortagnais » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:23 pm

@ triplus :
I already tried every approach...with always blocking points. :/

1. First I have problems with setting the 2D view the way I want, it comes on the YX plane, and setting up the position and angle doesn't work.
EDIT, I just made it, amazing!! I clicked on the ... on position in Data and I was then able to implement rotations one by one, the way I wanted!! :idea:

Using the draft workbench is OK, but I encounter strange behaviours with diameters, why is that?
I don't want to spend most of my time setting all the dimension lines that they can look like they should...
TRIAL that fails.FCStd
(76.46 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
2. For the views, it's what looks the closest to my needs, but I was not able to install this add-on.
I read the topic, but even following step by step doesn't help. I am a bit confused about renaming and if it works (it seems I get error message at FreeCAD start).

@ jmaustpc :
Is it then better to use this dimension tool on the 3D object or on the 2D projection just created (with shape2Dview)?

A big thank you for your interest and help! ;)
Newbie in CAD!
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:41 am

rider_mortagnais wrote:@ jmaustpc :
Is it then better to use this dimension tool on the 3D object or on the 2D projection just created (with shape2Dview)?
In theory you should be able to just use the 3d model for dimensions and drawings, the shape2D is something to try when working directly with the 3d model does not work for some reason or another.

What version of FreeCAD are you using? Please post your Help about FreeCAD data when asking for help, it is almost always useful at the time and/or when viewing historical posts.

If any 3rd party plug in does not work, then the first thing to check is if you are using the correct version for your FreeCAD version.

Also if you have any problems, bugs, or find any limitations, always try the latest development version of FreeCAD for your platform (currently 0.16dev) because it is currently hundreds of bug fixes and new features ahead, and your issue may well be long since resolved.
PrzemoF

Postby PrzemoF » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Please excuse me that little off-topic :) FEM wb with VT by ickby:
FreeCAD_FEM_tests.png
FreeCAD_FEM_tests.png (204.29 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
rider_mortagnais

Postby rider_mortagnais » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 pm

jmaustpc wrote:What version of FreeCAD are you using? Please post your Help about FreeCAD data when asking for help, it is almost always useful at the time and/or when viewing historical posts.

If any 3rd party plug in does not work, then the first thing to check is if you are using the correct version for your FreeCAD version.

Also if you have any problems, bugs, or find any limitations, always try the latest development version of FreeCAD for your platform (currently 0.16dev) because it is currently hundreds of bug fixes and new features ahead, and your issue may well be long since resolved.
Hi!

I forgot to post it... :oops:
It was in the other topic, if you clicked on the link in my first post. :arrow:

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.5694 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c133457da59c20a233c4eaec428531896acdc071
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Newbie in CAD!
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:10 pm

rider_mortagnais wrote:Version: 0.16.5694 (Git)
you are a considerable way behind master, 260 commits or so. I just updated and compiled FreeCAD a minute or so ago.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.5953 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a029d90a98d360a37ceba482addc464080f9f509
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
rider_mortagnais

Postby rider_mortagnais » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:14 pm

PrzemoF wrote:Please excuse me that little off-topic :) FEM wb with VT by ickby:
FreeCAD_FEM_tests.png
Cool what you did! 8-)
What are the forces you applied on the holes?
Just one comment (and we also didn't consider it first), the force direction is not a line like you did, but an arc, with the wheel's axle for centre! ;)
I also thought that in this direction, nothing can happen, the tire will loose grip first, but in the other direction, like jumping on the rear wheel, it could be really a few hundreds of kg!!

Could you also please tell me where it is and how it works (in the big lines)?
I will read THIS in the mean while! ;)

I didn't ask my friend to run the analysis on the latest version, but before having the printed one in my hands, we did this :
Last edited by rider_mortagnais on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie in CAD!
rider_mortagnais

Postby rider_mortagnais » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:17 pm

jmaustpc wrote:
rider_mortagnais wrote:Version: 0.16.5694 (Git)
you are a considerable way behind master, 260 commits or so. I just updated and compiled FreeCAD a minute or so ago.

Version: 0.16.5953 (Git)
I'll update now, it can just help! Thanks for answering. ;)

To come back on the main topic, here is what I did yesterday after "solving" the issue I had with positionning (I will detail later on) :
Newbie in CAD!