Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brusk

Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by brusk »

The other day I read about Eivind's great new Expressions-feature and wanted to try it. I downloaded the 0.16_pre for Mac from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.16_pre and couldn't find the feature. I realised after a while that the build for Mac was way older than for Windows (r4945 vs r5958) and managed to build it myself.

I know that not many people is using FreeCAD on the Mac but it's a shame if it's harder than it needs to be :) ! If it gets tested more that may change as well. I noticed that in my own, new build, all the GUI buttons is showing up, that is a nice surprise. Usually a lot of buttons is missing from the Mac version.

Anyways, can I help in any way? I wouldn't mind providing my Mac build. But I understand if you can't just accept a binary from some random user ;) .
yorik
Founder

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by yorik »

Yes, if you could help with mac builds that would be highly welcome I think...
brusk

Post by brusk »

yorik wrote:Yes, if you could help with mac builds that would be highly welcome I think...
Great, I would love to :) .

Any directions or somebody I should talk to?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Their is currently only one person doing all the Apple builds. Having another, or more, is a good idea.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

brusk wrote:Any directions or somebody I should talk to?
I think who is currently doing the mac builds is peterl94? Or sgrogan? I don; t remember...

For the time being, I think you should start by making sure you can produce a proper build, then upload it somewhere where people can take a look at it. If it's ok, and you fancy doing this more or less regularly, we can add you to the release managers later on.
brusk

Post by brusk »

yorik wrote:
brusk wrote:Any directions or somebody I should talk to?
I think who is currently doing the mac builds is peterl94? Or sgrogan? I don't remember...

For the time being, I think you should start by making sure you can produce a proper build, then upload it somewhere where people can take a look at it. If it's ok, and you fancy doing this more or less regularly, we can add you to the release managers later on.
Cool, does any of you guys how to produce a release build? The executable produced by the "make -j3" from the CompileOnMac page is obviously not for distributing.
brusk

Post by brusk »

brusk wrote:Cool, does any of you guys how to produce a release build? The executable produced by the "make -j3" from the CompileOnMac page is obviously not for distributing.
Oops, just found BuildRelease.py. Guess that's my answer :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

brusk wrote:
brusk wrote:Cool, does any of you guys how to produce a release build? The executable produced by the "make -j3" from the CompileOnMac page is obviously not for distributing.
Oops, just found BuildRelease.py. Guess that's my answer :)
No, that's an old script doing release builds on Windows.

For OSX, re-run CMake and activate the option "Create app bundle on install". After compiling do a "make install" which should then create a bundle with all 3rd party libraries.
brusk

Post by brusk »

wmayer wrote:For OSX, re-run CMake and activate the option "Create app bundle on install". After compiling do a "make install" which should then create a bundle with all 3rd party libraries.
Cool, thanks!

Yeah, that script is very Windows specific…
brusk

Post by brusk »

wmayer wrote:For OSX, re-run CMake and activate the option "Create app bundle on install". After compiling do a "make install" which should then create a bundle with all 3rd party libraries.
That works :) !

Only problem I've found so far is that matplotlib isn't imported when trying to plot. I have it installed in my local python but how do I ensure that it gets included correctly in FreeCAD?

I get the message:

Code: Select all

>>> import Plot
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Mod/Plot/Plot.py", line 44, in <module>
    raise ImportError("matplotlib not installed")
ImportError: matplotlib not installed
Actually is in the generated app bundle, in:

FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib-1.5.0-py2.7-macosx-10.11-x86_64.egg/matplotlib/

I don't know if it's ok that my machine's architecture is in the path to matplotlib either.