Chamfering difficulties

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

Chamfering difficulties

Post by un1corn »

Hello Everyone.
I am seeking guidance on a problem that I have, Briefly as a learning curve I am drawing the parts of a model Lanzing Bulldog vehicle.
I have created the attached worm screw but I am unable to chamfer the ends to achieve the appearance in the drawing (JPG of the worm screw drawing also attached) the chamfer also chamfers the end of the thread indicated by arrow.
I have extended the thread profile inwards by 0.1mm the ensure no gaps between the inner cylinder and thread form.
If I create a fusion to try a chamfer all sort of weird things occur, I am sure that it is my lack of experience causing these problems.
I would appreciate help with this if possible please.
Thanks in advance.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Worm Screw.JPG
Worm Screw.JPG (27.87 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
worm gear screw original.FCStd
(253.82 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
tanderson69
Veteran

Re: Chamfering difficulties

Post by tanderson69 »

I am on a different version of occt, so we probably have a different experience. When I open your part and run part/check geometry, I get a lot of errors. If you have errors from part/check geometry then you should track down where these errors are created. In case you didn't know, you should get into the habit of checking your model periodically through construction, especially when dealing with models using loft and sweep. Try to fix errors as they occur. I did a full recompute and got a error-free model. I am sure this is because I am on occt 6.9.1. After that I was able to build subtraction solid from a cube and a cone that will put a 'chamfer' on the end. I wouldn't expect the chamfer feature to do what you want in that condition.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
see here one example

help - trapezoidal lead screw

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

un1corn wrote:If I create a fusion to try a chamfer all sort of weird things occur, I am sure that it is my lack of experience causing these problems.
I don't think it's possible to Chamfer your model as it is now. The CAD kernel can't deal with where your threads meet the cylinder.

Also, Fusion fails Check Geometry with BOPCheck enabled. This can be easily fixed by using the Placement property to rotate the cylinder a little bit about the Z Axis so that the seam of the cylinder doesn't line up with the seams of the Sweep. I rotated the cylinder 10 degrees, and then Fusion was valid.

But cutting threads works better for me than adding them, so I used a different approach (probably pretty close to what Mario linked to):
20160304a-worm.png
20160304a-worm.png (14.01 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
20160304b-worm.png
20160304b-worm.png (31.82 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
20160304b-worm.FCStd
(443.25 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
If you have any questions, post back...

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6532 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 1ec066553e3b018748e75e83e46e7e347c9054ed
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
un1corn

Post by un1corn »

Hello Again.
Thank you to those who took the time to read and responded to my chamfering problem post.

Tanderson69, Sorry I omitted to recheck the geometry on this occasion after including the sketch overlap, once the overlap was removed the errors were also removed.

Mario52, Sorry I was unable get your suggestion to work.

Bejant, I would not of thought to rotate the cylinder to cure the fusion problem nor did I think to use the Boolean cut operation, Both of your suggestions has cured my difficulties and I now have exactly what I want, thank you.

On another note can anyone tell me if the DependancyGraph facility will be available again as each time I have tried to access http://graphviz.org the web page has been unavailable?
Thanks again people.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

un1corn wrote:On another note can anyone tell me if the DependancyGraph facility will be available again as each time I have tried to access http://graphviz.org the web page has been unavailable?
Hopefully this is only temporary. I just tried from the US and got timed out.
https://github.com/ellson/graphviz/issues/77
"fight the good fight"
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

The graphviz homepage and downloads page worked for me just now.
http://graphviz.org/Download.php
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

un1corn wrote:Bejant, I would not of thought to rotate the cylinder to cure the fusion problem nor did I think to use the Boolean cut operation
It's handy to remember that when the seams align, that can cause problems.

As for the Booleans, first I used the Part Design WB and had Sketches Mapped onto the planar end faces of your threads. I tried to do two Part Design WB > Groove operations, one on the bottom and another on the top. The bottom one worked (I did that one first) but the top Groove didn't pass Check Geometry, so that's why I used the Part WB > Boolean Difference to make Cuts.
un1corn wrote:Both of your suggestions has cured my difficulties and I now have exactly what I want, thank you.

You're quite welcome.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
here the graphviz version 2.38 for Windows http://graphviz.org/Download_windows.php

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
hiddenengine

Post by hiddenengine »

@Bejant - thank you for the suggestion about rotating. I had the same problem (FreeCAD 0.16.6703) when I tried to chamfer the end of a screw (created with the awesome Fasteners extension). I created a cylinder around the thread, chamfered the end then performed an intersection with the thread. This failed with very spectacular weirdness... until I rotated the cylinder by 10 degrees.

Now it works perfectly.

Does anyone know why you get problems if the seams line up and does anyone know if this will be fixed in a future release? It's good to have a workaround but it would be better if the problem didn't exist... if you have large and complicated models, I suspect that it would be quite tricky to track down if you had a seam alignment causing the problem.