IFC installation

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
hanslammerts

IFC installation

Post by hanslammerts »

Hi there,

I installed FreeCAD and I have ifcopenshell also downloaded and extracted to a folder (installed).
But when I do not fully understand how this works. When I open a ifc the computer is runnin but at the end nothing happens .

"other piece of software, or IfcOpenShell, which is not bundled with FreeCAD and must be installed on your system. If IfcOpenShell is correctly installed, it will be detected by FreeCAD and used to import IFC files"

what is correctly installed?
yorik
Founder

Re: IFC installation

Post by yorik »

It depends on your platform (windows, mac, linux, etc)
A simple way to know if it is correctly installed is to enter this in the python console of FreeCAD:

Code: Select all

import ifcopenshell
If nothing happens, it means everything is okay. Otherwise you'll get an error message, probably saying that ifcopenshell was not found.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

What FreeCAD version and what operation system are you on? If you would like to work with ifc I would recommend to use development snapshots. If you use the windows ones (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.16_pre) ifcopenshell will be included. For linux or osx you will have to compile ifcopenshell yourself which is not that difficault.
hanslammerts

Post by hanslammerts »

I had v15 installed and indeed had some error messages.
But installing the v16 version is worked out fine.

thanks!
damian

Post by damian »

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6613 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: fadf2dbc3b9b7e45f4830c3d9c45d7817e223a0d
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a

Hello:
I'm doing something wrong compiling IFC

Code: Select all

[ 68%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/IfcConvert.dir/home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp.o
/home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void SvgSerializer::write(const IfcGeom::BRepElement<double>*)’:
/home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp:235:3: error: no matching function for call to ‘gp_Trsf::SetValues(const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, const double&, Standard_Real, Standard_Real)’
   );
   ^
/home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp:235:3: note: candidate is:
In file included from /usr/include/oce/gp_Pnt.lxx:19:0,
                 from /usr/include/oce/gp_Pnt.hxx:189,
                 from /usr/include/oce/gp_Ax1.hxx:13,
                 from /usr/include/oce/gp_Ax3.hxx:13,
                 from /usr/include/oce/gp_Pln.hxx:13,
                 from /home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp:28:
/usr/include/oce/gp_Trsf.hxx:207:26: note: void gp_Trsf::SetValues(Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real, Standard_Real)
   Standard_EXPORT   void SetValues (const Standard_Real a11, const Standard_Real a12, const Standard_Real a13, const Standard_Real a14, const Standard_Real a21, const Standard_Real a22, const Standard_Real a23, const Standard_Real a24, const Standard_Real a31, const Standard_Real a32, const Standard_Real a33, const Standard_Real a34) ;
                          ^
/usr/include/oce/gp_Trsf.hxx:207:26: note:   candidate expects 12 arguments, 14 provided
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/IfcConvert.dir/home/jose/ifcopenshell/trunk/src/ifcconvert/SvgSerializer.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/IfcConvert.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Thank you
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Apparently your version of IfcOpenShell uses OpenCasCade in a wrong way ("error: no matching function for call to ..."). Probably one of the two is too old, either ifcopenshell or opencascade, check that you are using a recent verison of both. Otherwise, it could be a bug in ifcopenshell, long time I didn't recompile it...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

make sure take the official repository: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell

If you have a problem in compiling this repository, you could file an issue there or in the IfcOpenShell forum.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Probably one of the two is too old, either ifcopenshell or opencascade, check that you are using a recent verison of both.
damian wrote:OS: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
Version: 0.16.6613 (Git)
Not sure if you compiled FreeCAD yourself or if you use the daily builds PPA. Your FreeCAD info doesn't report the OCC/OCE version because you did not load the Part workbench first. If you use the PPA, then your OCE should be fine. If not, do not use OCE from the Ubuntu 14.04 repo, it is quite old.
Last edited by NormandC on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

damian wrote:I'm doing something wrong compiling IFC
Most of my problems with ifcopenshell have been at cmake.
Use cmake-gui!
You need to set the source directory to <cloned source directory/cmake>. Create an out of source build directory.
At configure, you will probably get a collada error, just disable the collada support in cmake-gui, its not needed for FreeCAD at this time.
configure again, then generate. Switch to the build directory and "make-j4".
Then "sudo make install"
Code tags not used on purpose to discourage copy and paste.
@bernd It seems the recent changes are to make win builds easier so I won't post on the ifc site until I know what I'm talking about. If you have time to test a linux build I'd be interested. An incremental build on Kubuntu was no problem, a fresh build revealed this problem. I think the switching the source dir to <cloned directory>/cmake is new, but I'm not sure.
EDIT: I have assumed you are using the oce from the FreeCAD daily PPA, Please verify if you are compiling yourself or not. There may be some unmet -dev dependencies. Thanks NormandC!
"fight the good fight"
damian

Post by damian »

Thank you to every body

Yorik: yes, a version problem. It doesn't seem a bug.

Bernd: yes, official repro, and their instructions, are working nicely

NormandC: yes, first Part Workbench, I didn't know it. I have some ubuntus, with FreeCAD and OCE compiled or not, 32 and 64, .... Relative to Ubuntu, normally I've been working with alfa from november or december, but the 16.04 LTS is giving me installations problems. This is question for other forum.

Sgrogan: yes. I didn't know how to disable the collada support and finally also I compiled it (before your post).

The True Problem is that every time I need to compile, I'm feel like a donkey in a garaje.

Study and repeat until the victory