move and rotate a wall assembly with door and window

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JLB85FR

move and rotate a wall assembly with door and window

Post by JLB85FR »

Hello,
Please can someone help, I cannot successfully rotate the content of the design in attached file (and generally any other design including windows or doors in wall).
Translation works perfectly if moving only the group 'Parts_to_move' in which I have placed the base elements, but to rotate the assembly once moved (or not moved), I cannot find a correct solution.
if I rotate the wall002, it's ok for the first time, but a second rotate produces an invalid construction.
thanks in advance.... for any tip

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6656 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 287f3d94ca45273ff9879fb28ec4c7a03fe45a99
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
building door window with group.FCStd
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
damian

Re: move and rotate a wall assembly with door and window

Post by damian »

Yes

I see the problem with the second rotate

damian

Post by damian »

hi JLB85FR:

I've tried to read your five posts with various problems. It's too much information, and this is a little bit unordered (the models and the explains).

In addition, I am a novice with FreeCAD, python, etc. I haven't tips or tricks.

But there are two things that perhaps they could work:

1º) Always I work over a well studied 2D footprint, and later I grow the 3D model. The 3D model must not suffer too much modifications. The number of walls, their unions and corners, its a very important decision that must be adopted at the beginning. Later, if you need 'delicates changes' (as a second rotation?), reconsider to save the Base objects (sketches), modify them, and reconstruct the wall.

2º) About rotating a building, think that site, building and floor are 'non-shaped' elements. They are groups elements. The three (site, building and floor) have a placement property with an angle data. You could modify the building angle. Of course, the draw doesn't turn and remain still. In other words, turn the wind rose, don't turn the draw.

by
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

hi Damian,
thank you for your comments.
damian wrote:Always I work over a well studied 2D footprint,
working on base objects can be assimilate to working on 2D objects: I always work on these. to modify a wall I just edit the Dwire, to reposition windows I change the sketch position...
you cannot reconstruct walls as easily: when you have added 10s of windows in a wall, you cannot delete then recreate the wall.

for building move in a site, the idea was first to assemble the dedicated objects in a fusion or a compound, but it does not work really well, unless placing only base objects in the fusion.

I am close to a successful operation, but there still remains a little issue with windows, you can notice that if rotating the wall rectangle and the window sketch, then the aperture in the wall does not follow the rotation.
I think that this could be fixed in the arch module....
I can join my wall design if you are interested.
I have done as in the sample (building door window with group) ie placing all the base objects in a single group, then moving the group works fine.
But for rotation, if there are windows or doors, I needed to create another group, because windows rotation does not work if rotating only sketch.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

One thing might help: You can now keep relationships between the base sketches of windows and host walls (map sketches to wall faces), and, inside the sketches, use external edges to position your window correctly. When a sketch is mapped to a wall, it will move (and rotate) together with the wall. You must just take care of mapping the sketch to the correct wall (the subwall, not the final wall) otherwise you will create non-DAG situations. Also when rotating, it is the subwall that must be rotated, not the final wall, otherwise the window will stay where it is.
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

Hi Yorik,
How can I map the sketch to wall face ?
Isn't it what I have done in the design attached in first post ?
What I usually do to move is just move the base objects, but for rotation, it doesn't work, and I tried to rotate only the wall + the window, but the base objects then stay at their places, so for future moves it may be difficult to operate...
Attachments
rotated base objects only.PNG
rotated base objects only.PNG (28.34 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
rotated only wall+window+door.PNG
rotated only wall+window+door.PNG (52.68 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

JLB85FR wrote:How can I map the sketch to wall face ?
Select the face, then Sketcher WB -> "Map to Face"
JLB85FR wrote:Isn't it what I have done in the design attached in first post ?
Apparently not, but I didn't look very deep.

I tested here with a fresh one, if the sketch is correctly mapped to a wall face (and provided it is hooked to one of the edges of the wall, to make sure it stays in place), it will correctly rotate together with the wall
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

Hi Yorik,
I cannot make it work...
I created a new design:
- create a wire
- make a wall from it
- wall align right
- working pane = front, auto
- select face
- insert window
all is ok until there.
then I tried map sketch to face (sketcher WB), sometimes it says 'no face was selected...' and after leaving and reopening the design it goes on...
but then it's not possible to recompute, the console displays 'Document::recompute: The graph must be a DAG.'
I don't know what I have missed...
JLB85FR

Post by JLB85FR »

Sorry, I read again your previous post, and tried to map the sketch to the first level of wall, not the final.

However, in this case, the door moves outside the wall, and I cannot edit the door sketch position : when entering data, the door moves, but validating with enter key resets the value.
and if editing the door position, after rotation all door parts are dispatched away.
damian

Post by damian »

Hi:

there is an explanation at

http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?ti ... r_External

It's a little bit tricky

I hope it helps you.

by