Assembly and drawing module

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Assembly and drawing module

Post by efyx »

Hi,
the weakest points of FreeCAD are is missing for those two modules (drawing for 2d drawings and assembly which shall contain degrees of freedom). I know there is a way to put dimensions on drawings, but I am talking about something at least like drawing dimensioning addon.
I know that everything will be included when it will be finished but I would like to know, when do you think (mostly question for developers) both of those modules will be attached to program?
Are there any versions to compile it with those modules?
What are the official names for those modules and maybe git links?
paul18

Re: Assembly and drawing module

Post by paul18 »

have a look to the 2 following add-ons: Assembly2 and DrawingDimensioning at https://github.com/hamish2014/

Note they are extra modules (out from official Freecad dev)
efyx

Post by efyx »

@paul18 I know them quite good. But I am interested in offical branch.
CharlieMAC

Post by CharlieMAC »

efyx wrote:Hi,
the weakest points of FreeCAD are is missing for those two modules (drawing for 2d drawings and assembly which shall contain degrees of freedom). I know there is a way to put dimensions on drawings, but I am talking about something at least like drawing dimensioning addon.
I know that everything will be included when it will be finished but I would like to know, when do you think (mostly question for developers) both of those modules will be attached to program?
Are there any versions to compile it with those modules?
What are the official names for those modules and maybe git links?
There are two branches, namely FreeCAD Techdraw and FreeCAD_sf_Master. Those are the development branches of the new Techdraw workbench (drawing sheet with dimensions) and the Assembly, respectively. You can test them both.

As far as I know, they will be soon merged into master branch, but I have no idea when they are going to be ready. One thing that I can tell is that in FreeCAD the things are ready when they are ready. Not before, not after. Just like Debian linux.
https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD-TechDraw
https://github.com/blobfish/FreeCAD_sf_ ... baseMaster
Best,

Ch.
Last edited by CharlieMAC on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
efyx

Post by efyx »

@CharlieMAC thanks! I am a little involved in testing Techdraw and need to check FreeCAD_sf_Master then.

PS> link for FreeCAD_sf_Master doesn't work.
CharlieMAC

Post by CharlieMAC »

efyx wrote:
PS> link for FreeCAD_sf_Master doesn't work.
Updated... The branches are currently being merged into master and therefore are being also deleted. So, you will be able to test them at some point through current FreeCAD master branch.

Best!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

efyx wrote:I would like to know, when do you think (mostly question for developers) both of those modules will be attached to program?
Today the PartDesign-next branch was merged to master. That branch had been waiting on the sideline for more than 2 years before a few devs picked it up again last year and further worked on it.

As for Assembly, AFAIK there is currently no work being done as it heavily relies on PartDesign-next. We might have to wait as long as with PartDesign-next. Who knows?
CharlieMAC

Post by CharlieMAC »

Will the Techdraw branch also be merged into master?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That's the plan, but I don't know when it will happen. It's been separated from the existing Drawing workbench so both can cohabit without conflict.
Mike Feature

Post by Mike Feature »

Merging DrawingDimensioning will be a very good point. Deffinitely.

Even after adding it, but much better it if were before, I have to suggest a bunch of features, very useful.

One of them is already implemented in Hamish DrawingDimensioning.
About the rest... I could not find alternative single key workarounds.

+1
- new snapping from edge to edge (closest distance) (circle to line, from line to line,

from circle to circle)

+2
Adding the new snapping to Draft WB

+3
Adding the new snapping and
- snapping to end
- to middle
to Sketch WB

+4
-new diameter measure (guys, fuuuucking allllll screw or parts catalogs I've ever seen have diameter measures, not a single one had radius measure. Think about it.)

+5
- new option for all measures
paralel
- measure external to dimline (distance)
- measure internal to dimline (distance)
- measure in dimline
perpendicular
- measure external to dimline (distance)
- measure internal to dimline (distance)
- measure in dimline

( internal : between object and dimline
external : further from objetc than dimline )

+6
-array of independent objects

+7
-mirror a project or rearrange master axis (one starts a project and at half way one finds out it started head down ...) without copies or linked objects or renamed objects, just mirroring or turning upside down

I would love to read if anyone finds any of them interesting.

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.6726 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8aaae0ba2225d052d580e504d73707cb60e91717
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17