Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wkernkamp

Re: Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15

Post by wkernkamp »

Hi All,

Assembly 2 Workbench seems to work fine with FreeCAD 0.17pre!

Will
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It should work the same with FreeCAD 0.16. As for FreeCAD 0.17 nothing was merged yet into master that could brake support. But i guess that could happen in the future.
ollydbg

Post by ollydbg »

Hi, please update the title and the first post, you should at least mention that this workbench works for FreeCAD v 0.16 release.

It does not works under my system:
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6698 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ca7c5d31a4d61f32a25b71025b14641a6e378328
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

And with the latest Assembly 2 from github.

When I copied the folder to the Mod folder, and after start the freecad, I don't see the "Assembly 2" workbench in the workbench list.

EDIT: This is the log I get, I have both Animation workbench and Assembly2 workbench installed.
During initialization the error DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. occurred in D:\software\sci\freecad\FreeCAD_0.16.6698.ca7c5d3-Win-x32\FreeCAD_0.16.6698_x86_dev_win\Mod\assembly2\InitGui.py
Animation workbench activated
EDIT2: by using the method mentioned here: Re: (Solved)Assembly2 in Version: 0.16.5602 (Git), it works now.
Last edited by ollydbg on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Unfortunately the author of the topic and workbench has not been on the forum since last January.
ollydbg

Post by ollydbg »

NormandC wrote:Unfortunately the author of the topic and workbench has not been on the forum since last January.
Oh, sorry, it does not works on my system, I just modified my previous post.
It does work OK under Windows XP, see my previous post, I just edit it.
elgambitero

Post by elgambitero »

NormandC wrote:Unfortunately the author of the topic and workbench has not been on the forum since last January.
That matter has me worried. The last commit to the GitHub repo is one year old.

Is anyone interested in further development of this workbench? Because us folks at Makespace Madrid would like to use this to make big projects.

I'm using it for every multipart repo, and for that matter I want to contribute but, there's no repo to Pull Request to!
I doubt the author would come back to accept it. And that's sad.

I consider this a feature that FreeCAD must have. how far does this project need to go for it to be included by default?
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

elgambitero wrote:
That matter has me worried. The last commit to the GitHub repo is one year old.
The assembly2 workbench is a community workbench and a lot of communiction does not run here in the forum but in the git

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_assembly2/issues

Of course assembly2 is only for "small" projects and it would be nice to hear a signal whether assembly will continue. :?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

elgambitero wrote:and for that matter I want to contribute but, there's no repo to Pull Request to!
I doubt the author would come back to accept it. And that's sad.
Just fork it, that is the real power of git.
elgambitero wrote: I consider this a feature that FreeCAD must have. how far does this project need to go for it to be included by default?
It never will be included. It is a highly appreciated workbench for sure and does assemblies very well in a time where freecad does not support this in any way. However, as FreeCAD does not really support assembly stuff at all right now the workbench is a hack in many regards. We are on the route to change that, but this means a revised object structure in FreeCAD and than an deeply integrated own assembly workbench. One day far ahead at least :)
paul18

Post by paul18 »

microelly2 wrote:Of course assembly2 is only for "small" projects and it would be nice to hear a signal whether assembly will continue. :?
Assembly2 module has issues (as Freecad has), but it's possible to do complex assemblies including dozens of parts; In order to enlighten the solver, I create as many sub-assemblies as I can
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ZVT4p3vOiA)
Last edited by paul18 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

paul18 wrote: but it's possible to do complex assemblies inculing dozens of parts; In order to enlighten the solver, I create as many sub-assemblies I can
Nice idea to split complexity this way. :)