Symbols library

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giovanni_Longo

Re: Symbols library

Post by Giovanni_Longo »

Thanks! :)
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Does this macro work anymore? Currently for v.21?

I couldn't figure out where I should edit it. I saw where this thread says to change the parameter but there doesn't seem to be one to change. If I try to run the macro, no window pops up nor does a dialog requesting the path.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

charliemccraney wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:26 pm Does this macro work anymore? Currently for v.21?
Nope, you need to change line 60 from:

Code: Select all

folderDialog = QtGui.QFileDialog.getExistingDirectory(None,QtGui.QApplication.translate("SymbolsLibrary", "Location of your existing Symbols library", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8)
to:

Code: Select all

folderDialog = QtGui.QFileDialog.getExistingDirectory(None,QtGui.QApplication.translate("SymbolsLibrary", "Location of your existing Symbols library", None, QtGui.QFileDialog.ShowDirsOnly))
That's the obvious fault but here maybe others. After you get it working, the question remains as to why when Drawing Wb is been deprecated do you still need this, are there many Symbols missing from Techdraw that @wandererfan needs to incorporate??
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Syres wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:06 pm are there many Symbols missing from Techdraw that @wandererfan needs to incorporate??
:? I don't use this. Is there something I need to do?

There is a Symbol directory in the distribution (/home/wile/Target/FCDevl/share/Mod/TechDraw/Symbols on this machine). It looks to have more symbols than the Github repo.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:46 pm Is there something I need to do?
Personally I think it's redundant but maybe we get some users upgrading from 0.18.x who have developed their own libraries over time, in the 6 years I've used FC I've never known anyone use this, hence the surprise at the question today. Let's see what feedback there is but most likely nothing to do here.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

That other section of code doesn't fix it.

I needed it because the documentation on this topic is not very good. Even on the FreeCAD wiki, the only reference I found to a source for symbols is the workbench.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

charliemccraney wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:54 am the only reference I found to a source for symbols is the workbench.
The Techdraw workbench symbols are held in subfolders of (on Linux) src/share/Mod/TechDraw/Symbols (or on Windows) src\data\Mod\TechDraw\Symbols and if they are not welding, surface roughness then they are inserted through the general add symbol command https://wiki.freecad.org/TechDraw_Symbol , you need a Page to be created first obviously. If you find something is missing you can request for it to be added to the appropriate folder as applicable.